SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
euglossa

what about a flame weeder? cheeseweed invading my gramma grass

euglossa
17 years ago

Hello, I have posted some on the vegetable forum last year, but haven't been here yet.

I've been gardening organically for about four years and I'm tired of the battle with bindweed and cheeseweed (mallow). I can't keep up with manual weeding, and I really don't want to break away from organic practices.

I have thickly mulched walkways between mounded beds and the bindweed easily gets through multiple layers of cardboard and mulch. I don't have time to keep up with weeding it all summer and left unchecked it will completely blanket the garden. Actually, my vegetables do fine in spite of it, but it isn't popular with the city, my neighbors and my own sense of order.

I've seen a propane flame weeder in catalogs and I wonder if regular patrols of burning will help me control the top growth enough to eventually starve the plants.

If I use it for weeds in a dampened chipped wood mulch pathway am I likely to start a fire?

Also any ideas how to get rid of cheeseweed in a blue gramma grass lawn (aside from digging-there's too much for that to be practical)? I seeded the lawn summer before last and it's doing well, but the weeds are spreading into the edges from an untended pasture next door. It seems to fine with the low water regime of the gramma grass and mowing and corn gluten aren't checking it.

thanks,

Ellen

where it is snowing lightly on my newly sprouted peas

Comments (3)