SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tjg911

hay roots invading garden

TJG911
14 years ago

i've been an organic gardener for 17 years. my garden is 30' X 40' and is surrounded by a fence, actually 2 fences and that's a big problem, the problem.

i had to wrap my fence 28" tall (4" X 4" grid) with chicken wire to stop rabbits from jumping thru the 4" X 4" holes. i clearly mad a mistake using this fence as a 2" X 4" welded wire fence in the past was working. so by tying these 2 together (which has to be done every 18 months as the jute breaks/rots)i have grass that grows on the inside, in the middle and the outside of the fence. i can't control this and as a result the grass develops into hay, 2' tall. the hay is sending roots into the garden and sprouting new grass from those roots. it is a huge mess not to mention a weeding problem of big proportions.

i am pretty much at wits end trying to control this. for a few years i have sworn i would replace the fence, setting it back from the garden perimeter by 2' so i can mow the grass hoping that keeping it short like the lawn next to the garden would stop the invasive roots. i have debated using roundup to spray both sides of the fence to kill the grass but i really really don't want to do this.

so can anyone tell me if i put up a new fence 2' back from the garden so that i can mow the grass and stop it from going to hay, will this prevent the grass from turning into hay that sends these long strings (roots) into the garden that sprouts more grass? normal lawn grass that is mowed doesn't develop such runner roots. but maybe it is the type of grass that is sending out these aggressive runner roots? i think that it is the type of grass but maybe mowing it would stop this????

i will have to pay a fence company to put up the new fence as when i did it the fence was not tight and looked sloppy. so this may cost a good $750 to $1000 figuring 150' of 2" X 4" welded wire 24" to 28" tall fencing, posts and labor. if this doesn't stop the problem then i wasted the money and should have just used roundup which is excatly what i'll end up having to do to kill the grass.

anyone know whether mowing the grass, even if it is the kind that sents out runner roots, will stop the garden from being invaded by this perimeter grass?

thanks,

tom

Comments (18)