SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

It's a little irritant...

meldy_nva
12 years ago

Or maybe not so little. Every time I see/hear a mention of how broke the Post Office is, I think about what I see of the local postal services. Note that I live at a junction of 5 zip codes, each serving a combination of small/large business, industrial, and residential af all types from single dwellings on large lots to apartment towers. Whether walking or driving, I see a lot of mailmen.

I have never gone into any of the 3 closest post offices to find it without a waiting line.

I always find the clerks in each of these post offices to be non-stop busy while remaining courteous, patient, and efficient, and often cheerful. Kudoes to them!

BUT, why are delivery mailmen *walking* from door-to-door in areas where houses are spaced apart on lots of 1/2 acre or more? One neighborhood has houses on 1 to 2 acre lots on very steep hills; yep, one guy walks up and down each 100-ft driveway to put the mail into a front door slot! And then climbs four or five hundred feet up/down the steep street to the next driveway. What a waste of time!

And: WHY are there mailboxes (in those few areas so equipped) on *both* sides of the street? Surely it would be more efficient to locate all the boxes on just one side. True rural areas have long demonstrated the efficiency of delivering to several boxes at one stop.

And: WHY is all that junk mail paying so little postage? Each piece gets handled, sorted, and delivered just each piece of first class mail does, so why the teensy-tiny charge in comparison. IMO, if these junk-mail companies are so economy-minded, let them join together with other companies and format their ads into a booklet, or at least one envelope. I get a number of booklets and collections, and I do take a moment to look through the ads. Individual junk-mail is deposited straight into the recycle bin.

Does the P.O. need a busy parent [a.k.a time-management expert] to plan their routes?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
More Discussions