SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
granburyflowergirl

Too much compost? Help!

granburyflowergirl
14 years ago

Will plants survive if planted in pure compost?

Here's the long story: I had a ton of compost delivered and after spreading it around everywhere I wanted it, I still had a small mountain leftover on my front "lawn" which was getting very weedy around the edges where my lawn guy couldn't mow. I created an 8x10 containment area with bricks, I lay cardboard and newspaper down and then moved as much of the compost as I could into it so it wouldn't be an eyesore - it ended up being about 5" deep.

Yesterday an opportunity presented itself for me to get some cattle panels delivered (I have wanted to try cattle panel gardening since I found out about it, but could not find a way to get those things to my house) so I jumped on it. The guy even helped set up my cattle panel arch when I realized I couldn't lift them myself. Since I didn't really have a plan, he just assumed I had prepared that 8x10 area for this purpose and he set them up there. they look perfect there and in my excitement I rushed out and bought a bunch of grapes and tomatoes and planted them at the based of the arch - in pure compost... will they die? Do I need to dig them up, mix dirt in and replant them? Can I just gently work some planting mix in around the roots or will it be okay since the roots can grown down through the cardboard into regular dirt???

Thanks for any help!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022