SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrotheidi

Compost very hot - too much nitrogen?

CarrotHeidi
11 years ago

I searched to see if anyone else posted about this, and it looks like most temperature related compost problems are the opposite - but here goes:

I want to have killer, awesome compost. Like everyone does. So I went out to a little FFA farm and got 15 bags (50 to 75 lbs each) of mixed animal manures. The kind teenager who helped me was confident that I was taking from the "goat and sheep" area of the pile.

Then I layered the manure, like a lasagna, with the green goods in the compost and even added a two 64 gallon containers of lettuce, onion, and avocado skins from a local restaurant.

I lovingly turned the compost completely (into a new bin) once a week. It looks very good, but the problem is it is very hot - over 140 degrees - and not cooling down. It has been this hot for weeks and weeks now. Since it was looking so awesome, though, I used some a few days ago - and the plants that touched it died! Shriveled right up and dried out.

I am kind of confused about whether or not I killed the plants with heat of the compost or if maybe the heat of the compost means I killed the plants with an overload of nitrogen.

Comments (19)