SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitecat8

Fewer orchids, lots more enjoyment

whitecat8
15 years ago

Before: About 100 orchids in the house; watering was a 3-hour chore that I left until late at night because it involved handling each plant separately, watered quickly, and I associated it with being tired; instead of leaching every 3rd or 4th watering, I watered with plain water about 4 times in a row - totally guessing about the 4 times; never washed the leaves anymore; got spider mites but didn't know it; lost beloved, probably-can't-be-replaced plants to spider mites; became even more reluctant to deal w/ the orchids but did it anyway; DH gently chiding that the orchids came first - before him, the dogs, and the cats; dogs way behind on brushing and trimming nails.

After: About 60 orchids in the house & heading for 50; watering takes a little over an hour; I love going into the orchid room soon after getting home from work and hanging out; almost no more late nights or resentment; usually leaching on schedule AND washing the leaves (plus spraying w/ homemade insecticidal soap); no signs of new spider mite damage; spending more relaxed time w/ DH and critters.

Some say each person has an ideal weight. Maybe each of us has an ideal number of orchids at any particular time in our addiction. Whatever - 60 plants sure feel good.

Of course, all the extra room is begging to be filled with new orchids.....

Whitecat8

Comments (38)

• xmpraedicta
    15 years ago

Very good insight into the joys and trials of growing these plants, WC. I think many of us have experienced this - It becomes apparent when the number of plants starts to tax on the other parts of our lives, as well as the amount of attention we can devote to each plant...winter is also when these difficulties show themselves. And then when sections of the collection start to decline, and even looking at them becomes depressing, you know it's time to cut back.

Personally, I've done the same thing as you - shrunk things down and given/traded/sold things. I'm at a comfortable level now too. What I have discovered to be quite fun is working out ways to improve the system; becoming more organized and systematic in plant care, developing a schedule, setting up automatic watering etc...Once I feel like I can handle more and everyone is happy and well cared for, then I'll get more. For now, no more impulse buys. Glad you've found your comfort zone : )

• arthurm
    15 years ago

I have the same sort of problem with my indoor collection of about 40 phals. They take longer to water than the uncounted numbers of orchids down the yard.

But i do like them (the phals) so i do the chore of carting them to the sink for watering and fertilizing.

If i had an indoor plant room perhaps some sort of plumbing to take water away would be the answer but seeing i have invaded my better half's space that is not on.

The collection has stalled at about 1000 orchids with those coming in balanced by those going out.

It is certainly easier to grow orchids here than in the frozen north where the really good growers live.

• Related Discussions

Tropical Orchid Farm Order Arrived!

Q

Comments (1)
    Even though I spelled incredible wrong, I thought that it was a good description of my orders from them. I was very impressed with the health, the size and the thoughtful extra included. They seem to add it keeping in mind your interests and not just throw in whatever they want to get rid of. I've had very good luck with Ebay, but I always do some research on the seller and the actual worth or the orchid first. I have a small group that I repeatedly use and know what to expect. Glad to hear that everything worked out! :~) Scott
    ...See More

Deep Cut Orchid Society Show- Photos and Review

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for the tour. I was able to see more there then when I've gone to some of these crowded events. Thanks again for sharing. Bob in Albany, N.Y.
    ...See More

Orchid Fever/Orchid Thief. Any good?

Q

Comments (16)
    Tee530 and rfraser529 gave an excellent rundown of the merits of both. It's been a while since I've read either but I found Orchid Fever to be an interesting and enjoyable summation of the history of orchid collecting/hunting/pillaging with an attempt to understand the motivations behind those doing it. The Orchid Thief was readable but a bit disappointing. I think the problem is that Orlean either didn't have or didn't portray a grasp of what she was writing about. The book is jam packed with misinfromation both about orchids (I found this most grating) and the situations she was writing about with a bias that seemed to imply bad or lazy research. I found The Orchid Thief somewhat void of conservation ethic, or maybe just flippant about it's importance, which left a bit of a sour after taste. I found this a difficult position to take for a story essentially about a person who abused government regulations pertaining to Native American land rights to illegally collect plants for commercial gain. Whether or not you agree with Hansen's opinion of the effectiveness of CITES etc and the motivations behind those who flaunt it, he at least addresses the issue seriously.
    ...See More

How and when did you get into orchids?

Q

Comments (38)
    Fun thread. Sakeofsilence - did you ever get the red-eyed tree frogs? They sound super. One of the orchid books says that, if you can grow houseplants, you can grow orchids. To me, it sounded the same as my mom's statement that, if you can read, you can cook. Believing her, I'd become a good cook years earlier, and I believed that orchid guy. In 2002, at a garden/craft chain store, I bought a purple NOID Phal and put it near sliding glass doors that faced E/SE - no lights, no air circulation, no extra humidity - no nothing. Sure enough, it rebloomed numerous times, sitting there among the houseplants. A couple of years later, a staff person at a local garden center said that, if the Phal was reblooming, I could grow many different types of orchids in the house. I literally got chills of excitement. She said there was a commercial grower in the area - turned out to be Orchids Limited. It was a freezing cold February night. I raced home to get directions to this place and drove up to the one greenhouse you can see into from the parking lot. Magical magic beyond magic! Lights were on inside, and the water rivulets on the windows made the blossoms and leaves inside look like a Cubist painting. The next day, I left the office early to get back there before closing. If you've ever walked into a luscious greenhouse when you were brand new to orchids and when it was about 0F degrees outside, you may know what I'm talking about. The warm, damp air. The verdant scents making introductions to your nose. The sights that thrill your third eye, to say nothing of the other two. And the sound of water falling into a pool when everything outside is brittle and frozen. Jerry Fischer (and later son Jason Fischer) was gracious and patient in answering unending questions from a complete novice. I bought a few plants, once we established my growing conditions. And then... and then... the annual AOS Show came to Minneapolis that April, 2004. Oh. My. Gosh. My senses were overwhelmed, and I had to take regular breaks to come back to earth from the overload. DH has been supportive in his way, asking what good are the orchids if we can't eat them. When I walked in w/ more, he groaned in jest, saying they were just more mouths to feed. But then, I asked him to spray the mounties a few times when I was away, and he was terrified he'd harm them somehow. Good guy. Before I lost all energy, give-a-sh--, and orchid love from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) last fall, few plants had just up and died, perhaps because I researched and read, plus grilled vendors on orchids' growing requirements before buying, trying to make sure my place was a good match. For a couple of years, I had 120+ orchids in the house and then cut back. Who knows how many of the current 70-80 will make it after not being watered and otherwise neglected for about the last 3 months, but the SAD symptoms are lessening slowly. Maybe one of these days, the 'chids will seem a joy again, rather than a burden and source of guilt. I'd offer them to folks, but they all may die in the next few months, plus I have zero energy to pack them up. May the Orchid Angels smile on us all and those gorgeous beings. :) Here is a link that might be useful: Nude Descending a Staircase; Marcel Duchamp, Cubist
    ...See More
  • aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

WC - I couldn't agree with you more. I know at one point in time I was somewhere in the 120 category. Not sure what I have now, but I bet it's half that number and I couldn't be happier. I actually have space to spare this winter and I'm in no hurry to fill the empty spaces.

It took some good old fashioned soul searching to figure out which plants really made me happy and which ones didn't. Around that time, I discovered the joys of selling on Craig's List and actually made some decent cash selling off the undesirables.

You really need to try and find some big trays with waffle grating on top so you can water your plants in place. I doubt it takes me 15 minutes to water mine.

Kevin

• elongrad97
    15 years ago

I hear you whitecat. I was pushing 100 myself, when I had the time. Then as I moved up the ranks with my Corgi in agility, added two more Corgis, and am debuting the youngest this spring...the time is gone. I also started a business vending at these shows, so the orchids have fallen by the wayside. I have only killed one orchid when I was in the height of the collection, and I think it just wasn't a good fit for my lighting/climate. Since getting so busy, I have lost 3 or 4 mtssa and have brought a couple others back from the brink. All due to underwatering. Someone from the forum is coming today to take the catts off of my hands. I simply get more enjoyment from my Phals, and even some of them are going. I'm keeping a NoID white Phal with 15"+ leaves and a 2 1/2 FOOT spike that produces white flowers which measure 4"+ across. I'm also keeping Baldan's Kaleidoscope because it blooms for at least half of the year. I'll hold onto my Angreacum Sesquipidale because it does well for me and maybe a couple of small Phals and two Paphs.

It's time to let someone else enjoy my collection. It's sad, but at least I know I have learned enough about orchids to be able to keep many different varieties in SH in the north. That's cool. I've bloomed most of them and haven't dealt with rot since the early days. The forum member will be here in a half hour...guess I'll take one last look at them. :)

• kelly_green
    15 years ago

Excellent thread! I completely agree. I think I hit my maximum capacity of inside plants this fall (also around 120), and it was starting to overwhelm me, exactly as you describe - too much watering time, not enough individual attention to each plant, etc. It's amazing how even just a couple of orchids in decline can make you start to resent the whole collection. I was avoiding spending time with them because of the super orchid-guilt generated by the 2 or 3 sad ones.

So I re-organized, gave some away, and even sent the 2 evil, scraggly non-blooming BLCs to orchid heaven. Wait, there's a word for this - I've been reading old posts - I "kev'ed" them? :D (Is this the same Kevin? :) ) And I have been SO MUCH happier ever since! Actually I'd like to downsize even more - WC I totally admire your resolve, letting go of so many.

Anyway, thanks everyone for sharing your stories, I enjoyed this.

:) Kelly

• AMYQofU
    15 years ago

This is a very thought provoking thread. I, too, have about 120 orchids and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. There are a few plants that make me sad/guilty/mad every time I look at them and I think I'm going to begin by Kev'ing those - I wouldn't feel good about even giving them away.
    Quality, not quantity, is what I'm taking from this discussion. Wish me luck!

• orchid126
    15 years ago

WC, been there, done that, and like you, very glad I did. The only thing now to do is to swear--SWEAR--that you will only get a new plant if you get rid of one. Only keep the knock-your-socks-off plants. Now, this is very hard advice to follow, but you must, otherwise in no time you'll be back to feeling miserable because you have too many to care for.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

Kelly

Yup, I'm the guy who composted more plants than I care to admit. Not doing that anymore since I discovered the joys of Craig's List. Last fall I sold all my unwanted plants to a delightful couple just getting into the hobby. They were so excited and it was fun seeing the plants go to someone who really wanted them. Got between $10 and $15 for each one, so that was nice too.

Kevin

• julysun
    15 years ago

I like this thread, fits my resolve to have only blooming plants, those that fit my rules. Large Catts, fragrant, ploidy if possible, with good family lines. Colors I like. No more starter plants that take years to bloom. This has made life much more fun. Just moved into a small house with a south facing, sunny, enclosed (with windows) front porch. Having a ball getting shelving and such set up for my collection of about 35 nice plants. Trading, buying new bloomers!
    I enjoy this forum and all of you, I learn something at every visit.

• laura1
    15 years ago

Very interesting thread! I'm newly into orchids. I used to grow over 100 roses. They got to be a ball and chain! I now have a garden with 12 roses and not planning on increasing
    I find it amazing that some of you guys have over 100 plants inside! That blows me away thinking about caring for them.
    I am going to try and keep in mind your life lessons with orchids. One thing I am aiming to do is to figure out a watering system that works better than my current "no system". I've got about 25 plants and they all get individual watering care. That works ok now but not for long!
    Thanks WC for the topic.

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Wow, what timing. I am so overwhelmed by my plants and being middle of Winter makes it worse. When they are all outdoors all summer, I can let mother nature take care of them anymore. Indoors for 5 months with cold, desert air becomes a nightmare.

I too plan to downsize, I have no idea how many plants I have but well over 100. I work during the day and have little time to care for them anymore. I dread repotting this spring which means bigger pots and less space.

Kevin, I'd be interested in your Craigs List experience. I'd like to sell a bunch and donate some to my OS. I don't want to give them all away and I don't want to trade. I'd like to get down to a more manageable amount. I now have a large sunroom, with lots of windows and sky-lights, but it requires a space heater during the winter. The heater dries the air to desert levels and I don't have time to keep filling humidifiers. As a result, they are so dry all the time plus I forget to water them. Seems they dry out faster than in the heat of summer and my sun-room is kept at 55F.

WC what did you do with yours. Please share. Kevin, Craigs List tips - please...

Jane

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kev, I've got waffle grating on top of most trays; others are actual humidity trays. You've got an ingenious drain system, if I remember correctly. I could probably get watering time way down but still want to examine each plant each time it's watered - still traumatized by the spider mites, plus a couple of orchids get mealy bugs about every 4 days. Maybe that'll stop as I keep washing leaves when leaching.

Jane, most orchids went to a local grower for store credit. No new plants from them but rather, sphag, stakes, etc. A few are going to an orchid buddy as gifts - her orchid room flooded, and she lost most of her collection. A few more are being sold to another orchid buddy who's moved to a different part of the country and can grow plants that limp along in Minnesota.

My posting to Craig's List never showed up - user error, no doubt. It was the first time I tried to advertise anything there.

Yes, Kev, your experiences would help.

Interesting to notice that most of my Phals and Dens are still on the keeper list.

Thanks for chiming in, y'all. Who knew we weren't alone in being happier with fewer plants?

Whitecat8

• savtaj
    15 years ago

Why do we get so emotionally involved in our orchids and why do we get so excited with every first blooming and so devastated with every setback? But that's the way it seems to be for most of us!
    WC, my commiserations over your battles with disease and nasties. I'm so happy that you managed to deal with the problem and that your decision to get rid of the undesirables in your collection has resulted in so much more enjoyment from your orchids (and your lifestyle)!
    This seems to be a very healthy stage of "enablement" lol.
    After my first 18 months as an orchid hobbyist, I'm still feeling my way. I know I can grow phals and some dendrobiums given my conditions, and am holding my breath about my ability to flower catts. and intergeneric onc. alliance. I now have 15 orchids and would like to expand to not more than 30 - have to leave some room for furniture. So, a few more phals and later, later, more catts if the few that I have prove that they can make it under less than perfect conditions.
    I have two basic grow areas - an east window which is perfect for the phals, and a huge west window (actually WSW) which provides sufficient light to bring dendrobiums to flower. The oncs. sit over a humidity tray, all the rest have to adjust to whatever is comfortable for us humans.. Winter seems to be an easier season than summer. I check water requirements once a week, but most of the orchids can manage with a watering every 2 weeks. Summer is the time for bugs, disease and/or desiccation. That's when spider mites, ants and fungus gnats get ready for attack!
    Here, spring is just around the corner. It's the time of hope for a wonderful blooming season. And keep the posts coming. In addition to the wealth of information they contain, they are a joy to read!
    Judy

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

Jane & WC - I discovered CL last summer as a way of getting rid of all sorts of stuff. I've been amazed at what sells and what doesn't, but overall it's been a great way for me to rid my house of stuff I no longer use. Example: I found a big bucket of aquarium gravel in my basement last week. I put it up for sale for $15 and sold it within a couple of days. If the merchandise is good and you place a good ad, you'll get much more for it than putting it on a yard sale - much more.

My advice based on my experience:
    Have a catchy title. When I sold my orchids, I posted something like: Orchids - Not your Walmart or Target Kind
    Include good pictures of the plant and a picture of the flowers if you have them.
    Post a brief narrative for each plant.
    Respond to emails as quickly as possible.
    If you have an interested party, don't fall for the "What's you're phone number. I'll call you." line. Chances are, they won't call you. Politely say, "If you're interested in stopping by, let's set up a specific time. Tell me where you're coming from and I'll give you directions."
    I've had better luck, posting ads early in the morning or later in the evening M-Th. For some reason Friday and weekend ads don't get much response.
    If you don't get a response, delete and repost the ad after a couple of days.
    Cash only.
    I have yet to meet any odd people. So far, everyone has been really nice.

K

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

Forgot to mention this: There are some scams going on with ads on CL, but they're pretty obvious. Here's an email I received yesterday about an expensive item I have up for sale.
    Hello ,
    Thanks for your quick response... Am satisfied with the price and condition of the item. I will like to make an outright purchase of the item. I am out of town on a business trip, so i will like to proceed in issuing out a certified bank check to you and upon the confirmation and clearance of payment my shipper will come for the pick-up at your location. and just to let you know that i will be conpesating you another 100$ for selling the item for me and take the list off cl...Please confirm & provide your name, address and contact information so that the payment can be mail out asap.So let me read back from you as soon as today.Your early response will be gradually appreciated....Thanks
    My regards to all of your familly...

I remember this guy. He responded to the same item a few weeks ago, but with a slightly different story. Sorry dude, I didn't get off the turnip truck yesterday.

• kelly_green
    15 years ago

Thanks, Kevin, for the Craigslist tips. I think I will give that a try.

Judy, I hear you on the 'emotional attachment' thing. For every one plant I am able to let go of, there are probably two more that have a special story or history attached to them, that I could never part with. Sometimes it seems like they are more pets than plants! It's a constant battle to keep the numbers manageable. I'm working on it, though! :)

• corymbosa
    15 years ago

I'm impressed by the number of orchids people in colder parts of the world can care for indoors. 6 of the orchids in my collection spend the cooler half of the year indoors. I'm considering ditching 4 of them because they're not worth the effort!

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Thanks Kevin, interestingly, I'd probably fall for that email. I'm not good at reading crooks. Wish I still had my Rottweilers...they could recognize it a mile away.

WC, you are lucky to have that deal with the grower. No such thing around here. My orchid society doesn't allow sales so you can only auction plants and the proceeds go to the society. I have too many plants to give away.

Give your buddy my email, maybe I can help her rebuild her collection. Would save me from Craigs List which makes me a bit nervous.

Planning to put our house on the market this Spring and I really need to get these plants a new home.

Jane

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Judy, oh my gosh. If my orchids needed watering only once every 2 weeks in winter, I'd have 200! One reason the collection is going down by half is that most needed watering every other day from November - April or so, and every day for the mounties.

Jane, being a woman, Craig's List makes me nervous, too. I figured I'd meet prospective buyers at Starbucks or something, with the chids in the warm minivan. Selling booty out of the back of a van. :)

I'll let my friend know.

Elongrad, that's ironic - I was active in the dog world till orchids came along.

Kev, could you post details of your watering/draining system again? Maybe it'll help w/ Arthur's Phals plus those who aren't compelled to look at each plant each watering.

Also, thanks for the tips on Craig's List. How many plants did you list at once?

WC8

• savtaj
    15 years ago

Whitecat-"watering 100 plants every other day"?? No wonder it became such a thankless chore. I admire your perseverance!
    I'm a chonic underwaterer by nature, so have learnt to steer clear of anything requiring super- moist conditions. And I can't do cool. Therefore, no vandas, hanging baskets or mounties. In any case, I love big showy flowers - catts, catts, and phals, of course. Red is my favourite colour. There was a lovely little red sophronitis being offered at the last local orchid meeting. I didn't succumb, even though the colour was gorgeous, because it was mounted on cork and sooo small!
    Thank goodness there are such a lot of orchids out there (although not so many close at hand, unfortunately). The advantage of this is that when something suitable does turn up, it's like winning the jackpot!
    Judy

• westoh Z6
    15 years ago

My collection is thinning out too :-(

I've been fighting a virus problem and mites.

Because of the virus, I'm probably going to loose the entire collection(150-160 plants). I've tried everything to save them, but I'm finally to the point where I think it best to ditch all of them and start again. I've probably thrown out @50 in the previous 2 months, but yesterday I pulled out a garbage bag and dumped @40 more. Still have around 60, but I'm just kind of waiting around and watching them pretty quickly head downhill.

I grow indoors year round in a spare bedroom, so things are cramped. I think I got a suspect plant last summer, things started to look bad and spread in fall, I got frustrated and let mites get a hold and then things really went south. I've gotten the mites under control, but with that added stress the virus is really hammered those that left.

I've had a couple of plants at the office for 2-3 months, so far they don't exhibit any problems, but I'm not sure if they will end up getting Kev'ed also, as they were in the growing area and may be infected. Common sense says to dump them to be sure...

I've lost @ 20 violacea phal species and hybrids and about 30 other nice phals, that's what really hurts...

Once they are all gone, I'll clean-up everything and start a new intermediate/cool growing collection of @ 50-75 plants total.

One good thing, I now know what I like and what I don't. No more Onc intergenerics, mostly phals and little ones.

With all of that said, I've almost convinced myself that this may not be so horrible after all. The collection was becoming a pain it took to long to deal with twice or more a week, plus I had plants that I no longer liked or did that well for me.

A fresh start is just around the corner...

Bob

• cjwatson
    15 years ago

I've always said that when any hobby becomes drugery rather than joy, it is time to reevalute what you doing wrong. Every year I pull out about 50 plants and give them away, trade them, toss them, or donate them to my society's annual auction. Still have way too many, but I always feel a lightening of the load after doing it.

Part of the problem is buying too many. I have partially cured that by buying almost exclusively miniature plants as opposed to big honking Catts. Of course, even the miniatures begin to take up more space as the plant grows. Needless to say, so do the remaining big honking Catts.

It will always be this way for serious orchid addicts; you will always have more plants than you have comfortable room for, whether you are growing on the windowsill or in a greenhouse. It takes a bit of self-dicipline -- and a few tears -- to periodically cull the flock and make your collection more manageable. First on the list to get rid of are the ones which won't bloom for you, have continuing health problems, or need a different culture than you can provide for them.

Sorry about your plants, Bob.

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bob, I'm so sorry about the virus. It's one thing to choose which orchids will go to another grower and quite another to have them taken from you.

Judy, my conditions are solid Intermediate, and there are loads of tiny orchids that fit in that culture, potted or mounted. (Maybe you shouldn't have this info!)

Most of my mounties are in 7"x 8" clear glass vases w/ clear plastic saucers on top.

{{gwi:142651}}

Or glass canisters a bit larger w/ plastic saucers:

{{gwi:142652}}

cj, the bother is you can get lots more little ones in the space of a few big ones, and each little one takes individual watering and inspecting, at least in my situation. I've fallen for that false premise and have rehomed lots of minis and compacts.

Some of mine are too raggedy to give or sell to anyone, so I'm keeping them and super focusing on their needs. Resisting Kev'ing, period. Hope they don't die. Last resort - my MN orchid buddy sees if she can bring them back from the living dead.

It's good to know I'm not alone in this reducing the collection thingie. Thanks, everyone.

WC8

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And Kevin - where did you post on CL? The only category for garden is in the same section as farm, and there were ads for backhoes and saddles and nothing close to houseplants, at least at the time.

Thanks, WC8

• barbcoleus
    15 years ago

Very interesting thread. I agree there is a number of plants I'm willing to take care of and when I exceed that number it's a labor, not a labor of love.

That scam of sending someone to pick up your plants and give you EXTRA money doesn't apply only to orchids. You'd think these scammers would get a real job.

I went to an orchid show last week and there were many beautiful orchids but I didn't buy any. The last time I bought orchids, I quit buying little cheap ones that had to be nursed along
    I'm happy with the size of my collection. I have a few that are in bloom at all times. The group outside can take care of themselves and are watered by the sprinkler system, I potted them in lava rock so that should last for a while.
    My phalies are in big tubs which I fill with water when they are dry so it's not a lot of work for the beauty.

Craigs list is weird. In the farm a section there are always plants in our area.

• Charm
    15 years ago

I have over 300...and Im down sizing too...Craigs list is a good idea, I have sold some on ebay....shipping has gotten out of hand though....~Charm

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

WC - I sold 5-6 plants and one person bought them all. That was nice.

Every one has to make their own decisions about selling things this way, but again in my experience it hasn't been scary at all. If anything, people are more reluctant to travel to a strange person's house and some folks have wanted to meet me somewhere public. Since I won't do that, maybe I've missed a couple of sales. I figure it's just not worth my time waiting around a parking lot for someone who may or may not show up. I've also found that 95% of the people buying things from me are women if that makes any difference to you.

Yes, I sold my orchids in the farm/garden section. I've also sold garden shredders, compost bins, light fixtures, water plants, carnivorous plants in the same section. Those who shop CL on a regular basis must know how to use the "Search Function" at the top of the page. If they're looking for plants, they probably type in "Plants" and a list of everyone selling plants of any sort pops up.

You would want to make sure your posting includes any of the key words (like "Plant") that people might use to find an item you have. I also think a lot people spend hours a day searching CL for deals, so it may just be a matter of posting your item at the right time of day.

And back to that scam message I received: That wasn't for orchids I have up for sale. It was for another non-orchid item listed at $250. I think the scammmers simply look for anything over a certain $ amount and send these kind of messages. After all, it really wouldn't be worth their time doing something like that for a $10 item.

CL has been an absolute god-send for me. I hate, hate, hate having stuff around my house I no longer use and over the past 6 months, I've made a huge dent in that pile of stuff. I also love the idea of recycling perfectly good items for $. $ is good. $ is VERY good these days.

Another example: A couple of weeks ago, I was doing some cleaning in the basement and noticed my stash of clay pots. Of course I would never part with my little pots since I've made the decision to only grow smaller orchids, but was I really going to use all those 6-10 inch ones ever again? Most of them have just been sitting there for the past 10 years gathering dust. I took a few pictures and posted the whole lot of them (about 30) for $20. Sold 'em all within a couple of days. I now have an entire empty shelf in my basement. How much would you get for a clay pot on a yard sale? 10 or 25 cents?

K

• zzyzzyx
    15 years ago

I love this concept. However, I only have around thirty-something orchids (but sixty plants altogether) around the house, and I am a sentimental fool. I feel guilty about parting with even one, because I feel personally responsible for its care.

I have a couple of box-store phals that don't do well for me, and I would love to get rid of them, but I feel like they would be hurt by my sending them away.

However, I should remind myself that they are not dogs. I just need to find someone who wants them AND can care for them properly. Poor dears. I'm such a sucker.

• orchid126
    15 years ago

Kevin, if you would be so kind, once someone is interested in what you are selling, how does the finalization go? Did you mail the thing out, did they come to your house? I have things I would like to sell but don't know what to do once someone wants them.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

Nope, I won't mail items although a number of people want me to do that. Yes, they always come to my house and pay cash - don't take checks or money orders. The highest priced item I've sold was $250 and the guy brought bills.

After I figure out if a person is serious, I have them commit to a time, ask them where they're coming from, send directions, my phone number and even a picture of my house. I usually go outside to meet them when they arrive and will sometimes bring the item to their car if it's small and not too blasted cold outside. Obviously, that works better during the warmer months.

K

• barbcoleus
    15 years ago

I meet them at the front door and we walk around to my lanai where the items are while my large dog is barking inside--of course she's had knee surgery and is on pain pills and is a golden retriever who is a scaredy cat but she sounds like a vicious pitt bull/rottweiler mix. Apologies to those who have wonderful pitts and rotties.
    THis dragging plants in tonight while the temps are dropping to 32 and dragging them in during hurricanes is getting to be a....drag.

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kevin, thanks for the specifics for the CL uninitiated. It's good to hear most of your buyers were women. Yes, DH could be here, and we have two big dogs. Maybe it'll be less worrisome, once I actually talk to a prospective buyer.

WC8

• watergal
    15 years ago

I'm at about 40 orchids and I think I'm over my limit. They're not getting enough water or fertilizer, and I'm not noticing pests as soon as I should. I'm also not repotting when I should. I've already pruned down my non-orchid houseplant collection quite a bit, but haven't had the guts to prune the orchid collection.

I have a bunch of minicatts, but they're just not doing as well as the phals for me. I think I'll stick to phals from now on, unless I suddenly master the minicatt culture.

Very big trays do help a lot with reducing watering time. I use big appliance trays designed to go under washing machines, with wire closet shelving on top. That holds a lot more water than the waffle grids did. This works great under HID lights, not sure how well it would fit with fluorescents though.

Good idea about craigslist, thanks! I got tired of packing plants on eBay, and that was just waterlilies which are bareroot and pretty easy to pack.

• littlem_2007
    15 years ago

hello, Bob, sorry to hear about your virus problem.. that would be painful.
    every time i think i have to water or repot, i say to myself, "oh, no, not already!" but as i get into it, i find that the process relaxes me and then, i find myself enjoying it.
    i have about 200 orchids and 100 non-orchids all over the house and the sunroom. it takes me a good 2 hours to water everything - i have given some away. i am ao attached to them that it was very difficult for me to give them away.
    i wish i have more self-control and not buy any when i go to a show!!!
    this thread is very good: it is giving me food for thought.
    sue

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sue, if I could water 300 plants in 2 hours, I'd have 150, minimum.

Well, I probably could do it in an hour, if I didn't water each plant individually, look it over, drain it a bit, maybe spray for spider mites - just in case, and then put it back in its spot.

And having only 1 show a year here, and w/ only 5-6 vendors, cuts way down on the buying at a show thingie.

What's your watering system that you can water so many in so little time? (Do I REally want to know this????)

Whitecat8

• littlem_2007
    15 years ago

hello, whitecat, when i decide to water, i just focus on that one thing - i don't let anything distract me. i have non-orchid plants close to the orchids: as i water the orchids, i would dump the excess water into the non-orchid plant or i hold the orchid pot over the non-orchid plant pot and water thru so i water 2 plants at the same time. i usually take a cursory look at each plant daily. once every couple of weeks i take a close look at each plant to make sure that there are no bugs etc. i fertilize every 2nd or 3rd watering which would then take longer than 2 hours. i do water them individually. i only repot a few plants at a time: i can't bear of thought of doing all of them in the same day. most of my orchids are small/compact except for the cymbidiums.
    sue

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, Sue,

Your watering system sounds great for your set up. Only 2 houseplants here.

Yep, I spread the repotting out for a couple of months, well, when there were 100+ orchids.

Saturday, 4 more plants left. Yea!! I've gotten 1 more new orchid, a Den sulcatum, but it'll get repotted w/ the smaller one, so the # of 'chids is the same. You may know how that works. :)

WC8

• horse_chick
    15 years ago

I went through this same downsizing dilemma a few years ago. It happens in almost every hobby.

Orchids aren't even my only hobby, I'm quite active in the model horse world with showing and judging and painting. Plus I've got well over 150 tomato seedlings started. Most of those will be given to friends/family or sold at our retail nursery. I'll end up with 30 or so plants.

Most of my orchids are outside now and I have to tell you that dragging 75 orchids of various species into my garage and running the space heaters not once but three times this winter has me rethinking THAT amount.

I haven't bought a new orchid on over a year and haven't even been tempted to do so.