SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
outsiders71

Vegetable seedlings, transplanting, and feeding

outsiders71
17 years ago

Hello,

So far everything is going well with my veggie seeds. I'm using coconut coir/perlite/worm castings as my media, some 24 celled pro-trays (that fit the 1020 trays), and domes. I have the trays under 2 overdriven 4' shoplights.

My cucumbers, zucchini, and okra all sprouted in 2 days. Now (4th day), my tomatoes are sprouting. Only thing that hasn't sprouted yet are my peppers and eggplant.

Where I'm a little confused is what to do next. I understand that I should wait until the seedlings produce a "true pair" of leaves and then transplant them into bigger containers. How big? Is 4" big enough? I need to grow these guys until around memorial day before they are planted without the danger of frost. Also I could use some recommendations as to where to get some cheap 4" pots.

After I transplant the seedlings into their pots, am I supposed to feed them? What can I feed them with? I have access to horticultural lime (white fine powder), alfalfa meal, bone meal, coffee grounds and corn meal (I bought some a few months ago and left it in the fridge, does it go bad?). Correct me if I'm wrong but I wouldn't want to use corn meal until the seedlings are more developed because it inhibits growth? Anyways how much of what and how (tea or mulch)?

Lastly once again I'm growing zucchini, cucumbers, eggplant, tomatoes, okra and peppers. I will be planting them in a newly created lasagna garden (which I will be creating soon). Is there anything I want to avoid putting in the lasagna garden that could stun their growth or burn them? I will be using straw, leaves, coffee grounds, and 6 month old horse manure.

Thanks for all the advice.

Comments (12)