SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
compulsivegrower

Help! Should I give up ?

compulsivegrower
11 years ago

Please excuse me ahead of time as this post is being written from a very emotional state. Despair, confusion, frustration being 3 of them !

I have Vegetable Garden Plot about 30 feet by 90 feet and a large hoophouse to start up and operate an Organic Market Garden this season. I started out so hopeful of the season & opportunities and have been drowning gleefully in seed catalogues

In the last couple of weeks reality has set in while I am starting the intitial set up. These are the major road blocks that have turn my dream into a nightmare....so it seems.

1) the landowner spread some partially decomposed compost on my plot that contains horse manure, woodchips, sawdust, pasture grasses & chicken bones ( from decomposed moorts ) and the usual kitchen scraps. This will most likely rob my plants of nitrogen while it continues to break down on the soil ....

2) there was 3 cottonwood trees that he took down in Jan that bordered the garden, and as I've been digging around I am realizing the roots are spread out under the surface ( anywhere from 4-6 inches below ) over the entire plot ranging from 2-4 inches in diameter. This is a problem because I need to rent a roto tiller which most likely will be either damaged by the roots or fly up and damage me ! So I'm left with digging them all up by hand ???

3) call me naive ( I am ) but I didn't take into consideration that this plot has Quackgrass everywhere. There is fully grown ( about 3ft ) grass under the partially decomposed compost, quack grass bordering it and new sprouts coming up. I thought I would just till this all under when I mix in the compost but after researching I discovered this is the worst thing I could ever do because the Quackgrass has underground rhizomes that multiply with any sort of cutting or tilling of the roots. So they need to be dug up by hand as well

4) I have clay soils in a wet climate which means I only have narrow windows of time to be able to work this soil ( initial bed prep ) which I'm afraid wont happen until may ! Which maybe isn't so bad after all considering it might take me from now till then to dig up the tree roots & quack grass

5) I also found a wireworm .....

I am really sorry if this sounds so doom & gloom I am normally a very positive person. I am just scared that this is starting to look like a very bad Idea to try to grow vegetables on this plot. And I have nowhere else to grow

Does it sound like I should throw in the towel? Or is this just what farming/garden organically looks like? Does everyone have multitudes of barriers ( just different or similar ) like my plot ?!?!

I have one year of organic veg farming - I did an internship last year on a 20 acre farm

Please help. Any word of advice or encouragement to this rookie will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)