SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jazmynsmom

jazmynsmom
15 years ago

I've known about Skype for a while because a lot of my international friends use it to make (free) international phone and video calls, but I always assumed it was difficult and/or expensive to set up. But the other week, my laptop's mouse broke, so I went to Circuit City's going out of business sale for a replacement and ended up getting a great deal on a cordless mouse bundled with a web cam.

It turned out being ridiculously easy to set up the web cam, and completely free to set up a Skype account. It then occurred to me that if my sisters had these, I could talk to my nieces and nephews (esp. the young nephews who are too small for phone talking), so I asked them if they'd be willing to get web cams too. They weren't enthusiastic because they had the same assumptions I had, so I found two stupid cheap (Remember the futuristic promises of our childhoods? Well, I might have preferred the flying cars, but the video phones have definitely arrived for the masses.

Last night I got a video call from my two young nephews just after their bath time. To be honest, the 2.5 year old was a little freaked out... especially when I told him I could see him through the computer and described his pajamas to him! The nearly one year old was engaged and babbled in response to me when I sang his name.

I just got a video call from a friend in Bulgaria and finally got to see his new baby. (Can you imagine how expensive a 20 minute phone call from Bulgaria would have been 15 years ago without video?) It was nice because his wife (whose English is not as good as his) was able to sit by his side and be a part of the conversation (and we'd be lost on the phone with one another!) My friend asked how our front patio project turned out, so I unplugged the printer from my laptop and took the computer outside to show him. Our wifi network has a good strong signal, so I can envision making video calls from the comfort of my hammock next summer...

At Christmas I found out that I'll be getting another niece/nephew in August, and I can't wait to watch my sister's belly grow in real time. I can also foresee cooking with my niece and reading stories to my nephews.

I just thought I'd bring this up because there are probably a lot of you who have nieces, nephews and grandbabies scattered all over the place and would probably enjoy the kind of communication this sort of (free) technology allows. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably get a headset (I still might) so I'm not always on "speaker phone" (though I can just go upstairs with the laptop if Steve has the TV on...) This could be useful for multi-generational cooking tutorials, story time, at-home music recitals, and more... to heck with long distance costs and cell phone minute overages...

Do any of you use this? Have you found it useful for something other than what I've mentioned?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals
More Discussions