SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Journal 5 Feburary 2008

rob333 (zone 7b)
16 years ago

I was up all night last night. I finished a paper on Iran and nuclear weapons for my foreign policy class, but quickly moved on to Super Tuesday festivities because 1) we'll talk about it in senior seminar tonight and 2) I'm an American who is greatly interested. Unfortunatley, what was to follow all the excitement was tornadoes. Or as we call it here "tornadic activity". I haven't always lived in Tennessee, but I became quickly acclimated to tornado activity ettiquette at a young age. You're supposed to watch tv and wander out the door to see if you can A) see a funnel cloud (and if you do, grab your video camera and 15 minutes of fame on the local news) and B) listen for the hallmark "freight train" rumbling as the tornado is heading straight for you! Never, at any point, are you to take cover in any way, as you might miss out on the excitement or feel really stupid when you've spent the evening sitting in a bathtub surrounded by blankets. Honestly, I ignore it all because it's so random and you'll either live or won't, regardless of what you do. Johnny and Toddy made the evening news one year when he heard the freight-train a'coming and he raced down the hall only to leap on top of her and their guest so that he could hold them down and not get sucked up. Their home was destroyed. They lived because Johnny weighs 300 pounds and hugs like a bear. I stood outside and watch the worst tornado in Rutherford county's history pass right over my head as it landed a subdivision away and destroyed everything. That one ended up as one of the Weather Channel's story. Now you can outrun a hurricane as you KNOW it's coming for you days in advance. You might get hours or you might have no notice with a tornado. But you don't know which way to run??? Where would you go? So we don't. We knew hours in advance last night. We watched as the super cell. The last time I saw storms like this was May 1995. You could hear them passing over, one right after another.

In the midst of all this flurry, Ed's mother fell and broke her ribs at her assisted living facility in Huntsville. His selfish sister lives 5 minutes from the hospital. We live 3 hours. She wouldn't go pick her mom up, so Ed mounted his trusty metal steed and went to pick her up. Cindy's excuse? She needed to get some sleep so that she could go on vacation today. Ed tells me he almost ended up in the ditch several times. Cindy better keep looking over her shoulder.

This is one Super Tuesday I'll never forget.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions