SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwoods_gw

baby talk...fess up

mwoods
16 years ago

For those of you who have or have had a pet, chances are that sometime you have used weird words when talking to them,baby talk words. If you never have I would have to wonder what's wrong with you. It's one thing to talk like this in the privacy of your own home and quite another to admit publicly that you do. Dogs, as some of you know, from time to time get the hiccups. My favorite "baby" word for this is hickey cups. I love saying that to our puppy. "Oh,do you have the hickey cups?" There are others that I'm not going share, but I could easily write a pet dictionary of cat and dog words I've used over the years.So what weird words or expressions do you say to your furballs? I promise I won't tell.

Comments (18)

• pamven
    16 years ago

Are you kidding?!?!? I have invented a new language for the cats that only they and i understand. Ginky=treat. Gonkies=toe nails. Boodie Ball=nests i carve out of the comforter on cold days. Mind you these nests have to have a "wall" between them because someone doesnt want someone else looking at him while he tries to sleep because that someone bites him on his boodie when he isnt looking. Know what? These cats know the meaning of each and every made up word esp the ones for food.

• jazmynsmom
    16 years ago

That's just weird, M! Everybody knows the proper word for that affliction when talking to one's pet is "hick'em-ups!" And it is very important to ask them this repeatedly when they have them because someday they just might answer!

I love it when I know Steve is on his way home, especially from an out of town business trip. Five to ten minutes before his arrival I ask Izzy "Is your Daddy coming home? Where's your Daddy?" This froths her up into the funniest state and she barks and dances and spins and lies down in front of the door from the garage and stares at it while vigorously wagging her tail until it opens. She greets her with barks and kisses and it's become a ritual they both enjoy.

The other night Steve and I were both in the living room watching TV and I excitedly asked Izzy if her Daddy was coming home. She started her waggy happy dance, ran to the back door and then I saw the little light bulb go on above her fuzzy little brain and she barked accusingly at me, went over and nudged her Daddy on the couch and barked at me some more. I love to make dogs laugh and Izzy laughs easily.

Steve is guilty of much of our mutual baby talk to the animals. Every night he asks Izzy "Schtinkus! You want some foooods?" and should he invite any of them (Kitty included) to join him on his lap, he will almost certainly do so in some form of baby talk.

But we're not weird or anything. I mean we don't go around calling hick'em-ups hickey cups! Sheesh! ;o)

• Related Discussions

Dog chewed up my baby fig tree.

Q

Comments (17)
    I mean update on the fig tree, not the dog, :) Check this out. the lil guy surprised me with a fig. Ain't that a testimony to how amazingly tough these fig trees are? I think it's time to get one more. I'm thinking I'd like to try "Violette de Bordeaux"
    ...See More

How to green up yellow babies withOUT fish emulsion

Q

Comments (10)
    Ahhha... "Epsom salt is known as magnesium sulfate, which is used in agriculture to enrich soil that lacks magnesium. The key ingredients that make up Epsom salts are magnesium, sulfur, oxygen and water." - Livestrong.com Umm...so inquiring minds want to why yellow leaf babies are deficient (in magnesium?) and the same soil for other leaf babies would be fine...
    ...See More

Yellow babies have greened up after Epsom salt treatment

Q

Comments (8)
    I think I used 1/4 tsp per gallon water as Irina suggested here https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5025627/how-to-green-up-yellow-babies-without-fish-emulsion?n=10 Used it for about 3 to 4 waterings before I started noticing a difference. My light intensity also increased as I might have installed an LED fixture around the ES treatment time. Though an AVSA article recommends 2 TBS per gallon water (members only access, sorry but here's the link) http://avsa.org/sites/default/files/files/MembershipNL/Are%20these%20baby%20violets%20in%20trouble%20%2001-09-17%20(1).pdf So...you could try splitting the difference?? LOL :-)
    ...See More

Baby Sumo thinks he's all grown up

Q

Comments (11)
    It's not uncommon for seedlings to put out a rogue bloom, but the blooms don't produce a fruit that hangs on and it can take years for it to bloom again. I hope that in your case, it will keep trying though!
    ...See More
  • sheila
    16 years ago

I've never had a pet who got hick'em-ups, although more than one has had the smarty farty's. I don't talk baby to them but they do have several names. Scoop is "Scooper Diver", "Scooper Boots", "Scooper Moray" "Scoopa Chocolate" and "The Diva". Rags is "Ragtime man", "Ragamoko", "Moko Man", Ragscallion" and they are both my "baby monkey pods". I break into song right before meals. Breakfast is: "You Are The Champions" and dinner is "Suppertime, Suppertime, Sup Sup Suppertime". I occasionally dance with them....I lead:)

I buy them a brand of dog biscuit called "Mr. Barky" and they spin with delight if I say the words "Who wants a Mr. Barky?"

• mwoods
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Keep telling yourself "baby monkey pods" isn't baby talk, Sheila. We all know better. LOL Smarty farties are pooties by the way. Do you all realize if we got together and made a dictionary how huge it would be? Several pages for each word.

• wandaredhead
    16 years ago

No, NO, NNNOOOOO!!!!

It really pains me deeply to realize y'all are teaching your fur-babies incorrect vocabulary.

Smartie farties and pooties are froggies..."I think someone ate a frog...I just heard a croak."

Baby talk??!!...you are selling my fur-babies and fids so short.
    They are much too mature and intelligent for baby talk.

• Janis_G
    16 years ago

Of course I talk baby talk to Sassi, she's a baby.
    A fart is a toot by the way.

• calliope
    16 years ago

OMG......now I'm worried. I sat here for awhile, trying to think of what baby-talk words I use with my pets, and came to the conclusion, since I can't think of any so far, that I DON'T! I talk to them like adults, mature fur people!!!!!!!!!!!! argh!!!!!!!!

The only thing I do is to make nonsense names for them. Hobbes is Hob-knob, part of a saying my mother used to use when I'd ask her what something was. She'd say a hob-knob for a goose's behind. LOL. Their names. That's the only thing I tinker with. Fritz is the Fritzmeister. Drifter Raye, is Drifter Raisin. They come no matter what I call them, so I guess they love me anyway.

• sheila
    16 years ago

Suzy, despite what Marda says I don't talk baby talk to my dogs:) I don't even talk baby talk to babies!

Stick with me:)

• Josh
    16 years ago

I'm with Suzy and Sheila...no baby talk here either when we had the kid or the pets But I really got a kick out of Sheila singing before breakfast...I don't even talk to DH before breakfast...josh

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

Do you want some tuppy" (supper)

• wandaredhead
    16 years ago

Come to think of it, I do sing to the FIDS a lot.

When I bathe them, I have a couple of songs I sing.
    I started this when I had a couple of FIDS that were afraid of bathing.
    This really seemed to calm them and even though they are okay with bathing now, I still sing.

It's so funny when I start "This is the way we wash our wings," Maxie, the Blue and Gold Macaw, gets so excited she will automatically start lifting her wings and swooshing her tail around before I ever get to her with the sprayer.

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

Sorry, no baby talk here either. Tone is a different story. I can -and have- said "good morning, and how are you this sunny day?" with an intonation that would have done credit to cooing "ooooo, an' how's mama's sweet li'l baby binky..."

The closest I remember coming to any euphemisms, was when Trina was doing that gag-heave preliminary to presenting a hairball. I had just scrubbed the kitchen floor where she was standing, and I looked at her and said, "If you are planning to up-chuck, you had better do it outside." She looked immensely affronted and stalked out.

• wandaredhead
    16 years ago

I tend to do what meldy does...a different tone.

I realized how obvious this is Saturday when I kept my 3-month-old grandson for the day.

Everytime I talked to him, Shyla would get all excited, want attention, brought me her toys, etc.

(I'm sure part of it was jealousy but I realized the tone with the baby-without-a-tail was the same tone I use with the babies-with-a-tail.)

• lilod
    16 years ago

It is not so much baby-talk as it is tone and twisted words and singing silly songs, and consistency in all that!
    Of course, dinner is "yummers" to all four cats and two dogs, the morning feeding is not orchestrated, because I don't like to talk so early. I have called the dog-biscuits "cookies" and now I can't talk about the human cookies, because ears perk up, tails wag and it's not for them.
    They do have names: Taschi-Washi - Gussie-Girl - Maximouse and Maximoose and Maxiwuss, he has quite a few names, Jasmyn is Gassy-Jassy, she farts a lot LOL

• mwoods
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I had a lot of fun with my son using funny little words and singing songs when he was little,and I'm having fun doing it with my puppy,especially when he has the hickey cups. Digby,your flatulance is making me crazy. Don't think so. Digby,your pooties are driving me up the wall.Now that has a certain ring to it. LOL

• lilod
    16 years ago

Looks as though we have a lot of flatulent pets - wonder if it is something they eat?

• tibs
    16 years ago

dh makes up names for all the felines and the kids. I use the baby tone and talk with cats. But not with the kids because god forbid if they ended up talking that way (that was my mother coming out in me.) I felt horrible the time when dd was just a tiny thing and asked wistfully why I didn't talk that way to her and her brother. Stab me thru the heart.

• Pidge
    16 years ago

With me it's mostly tone of voice and pet names: Darcy turns into "the darcer" or "look at you, Mary Lou" or "boo-boo kittie." Oliver is "the Ollie man" or "sweet thug." All spoken in a voice I would never want overheard by another adult except for DH.

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus
More Discussions