SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greendesert_gw

Dog chewed up my baby fig tree.

greendesert
14 years ago

I have a couple of fig trees and one (a Turkey Brown) is in the backyard. It has been in the ground for about a year, but was just starting to take off this winter (I'm in phoenix, and we had a pretty mellow winter). It was about 2-3 feet tall. Someone "gave" us this dog (probably cuz they couldn't get rid of it and my wife couldn't say no to said person) and the thing chewed the branches and leaves almost to the ground. Needless to say, the dog is gone (sorry, but nobody messes with my trees!) The tree looks like the branches are still green. I pruned them nicely just a little lower than where they were chewed. But I'm not seeing any activity. I'm just hoping it won't die on me.

Anything I should do? I know some might comment about the upside down carpet, I put it around the tree instead of mulch. It really helps retain some moisture in this hot and dry environment (we're in a desert you know).

here's a photo (the sticks you see on the outer perimeter, are just there to keep the kids from stepping on it):

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz