SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littlelizzy123

Organic Fertilizer Question

10 years ago

Hello all!

I am new to organic gardening, in that I don't spray pesticides or herbicides, but I did use synthetic fertilizers. I have moved to a new house, with a brand new garden, and I really want to start right. The soil is in raised beds, and is 30% compost, 70% topsoil. Our high plains/desert Colorado topsoil tends to be more alkaline, and granitey/sandy.

I am planning on adding a lot of compost and organic material, trying out vermicomposting (I'm saving up my kitchen scraps while waiting for my worms to arrive!), and testing the soil, but what kinds of organic fertilizers do you all use? Don't worry about the availability, I live in Colorado Springs, and the marijuana grow stores abound, so I can pretty much get my hands on anything I want. HA! That, and we have ranchers and stables around too; lots of free poop of all sorts. I wonder if I could get Cheyenne Mountain Zoo to lend me some giraffe or elephant poop...

Also, if my soil test turns out well, do I need to add fertilizer at all? All the things I read say things like "Such and such vegetable benefits from N applications every 3 weeks during flowering/fruiting/etc." "Onions need such and such to bulb." "Asparagus is a heavy feeder". Is the amounts in the soil enough for these plants during all stages of their lives? Is there a good source listing the NPK values of organic sources? What needs fertilized when and with what? It's all so confusing for a girl who grew up on a NW Iowa farm where chemicals are the norm, you mixed it up in a tank, dragged it behind a tractor and called it good.

Comments (23)