SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheila_gw

There's An Elephant In The Garden Party

sheila
13 years ago

I am rarely here anymore and was coming less and less before I was ever on facebook. I've just read most of the long thread about "GP Traffic" and I didn't come up with any new ideas on how to bring people back or interest new posters. Then I began looking scrolling through the threads that have been posted this year and I think there's an Elephant at the Party.

The Elephant at the Party is January 8, 2011. I may have missed it, and if I did I will more than happy to be corrected, but I didn't find mention of the shooting in Tucson. An horrific event that touched the lives, hearts and mind of everyone. I would have expected to find an entire thread. It seems to me that in our attempt not to say anything too controversial or political we have bent over backwards to say nothing. I'm not suggesting we return to the wild times we had back in the day when people (including myself) were banned, when people were reporting each other - but I am suggesting that it's really okay to talk about events that are of such huge proportion and significance to the entire country. Indeed, I think it's healthy.

It's okay to say the name Gabby Giffords! It's okay to say Christina Green and Judge Roll. It's perfectly okay and appropriate to express our sorrow at the mayhem that occurred on January 8 and to grieve the dead and cheer on the living who struggle to regain their hold on life. We can do all of this without calling names or laying blame. We are all connected by our very humanity.

I think that the Party has been sanitized to the point of resembling not a slice of life, but a slice on Wonder Bread. And that might be part of why people are leaving or coming and finding it bland.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions