SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Early phone call. Caution--book length

gandle
16 years ago

About 6:30 this A.M. son called. "Dad, you want to look at a combine?" My answer of course was I already know what they look like. He said let me rephrase that, I'm coming through in about 2 hours to go near McCook to look a a 60 series John Deere thats for sale, want to go with me?

I know he needs a newer combine, the 2 they have are getting rather old, one is a 79 and the newer an 86. Something is always breaking on them and the part can't be fixed or replace for it seems like under $1500 and the parts are getting hard to find..

I know he has been coveting a new combine but the one he wants is in the $250,000 range with the platform he wants, well, the year has been quite good but not that good. So apparently an estate is selling all their farm equipment and this particular machine is on the sale bill and he sure would like to have it. We'll see how good of condition it is in and perhaps act accordingly. It is a 2003 model.

What a difference in 60 some years. We picked corn by hand beside a horse drawn wagon and in a good day we could pick about 100 bushels and would go through several pairs of cotton husking mitts. Now he can combine about 100 bushels of corn in 10 minutes and it is shelled where the corn we picked was still on the cob. When we got done near dark we still had to scoop the corn on the cob offf the wagon into the corn crib and the opening was well above your head. Now the combine just elevates the shelled corn into a grain cart from it's bin and keeps going. Of course, we on a good year could realize 60 to 70 bushels of corn from an acre of land while now he consistently gets near 200 bushels from an acre. By the same token, our costs of raising the crop were very low. Fertilizer was manure from the barn and lots and chicken houses. and water was rainfall only. Now, anhydrous ammonia costs near $600 an ton and irrigation is horribly expensive. Seed corn expense to plant will cost in the thousands.

Where my father might have to borrow a hundred dollars to plant his crops now you have to have the ability to go to the banker with the idea of getting at least a hundred thousand and probably quite a bit more to be able to farm unless you have had a string of very good years and have quite a bundle to fall back on.

Where we planted nothing but open pollinated corn and actually sorted through the seed after it came through the sheller to pick out the biggest and best looking kernels for next years planting now of course it is all hybrid and the choices of types, maturity dates etc. is overwhelming.

Better hurry up and finish this or he will be here before I'm done.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions