SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aunt_audrey

Early Morning Tea

Haven't been to sleep yet so made myself a cup of tea. Made me think of all of you. The weather here has been cold and nasty but expected to warm up. As you ho about your day stay safe and warm.

Comments (44)

• caroline94535
    7 years ago

Hi Auntie; I'll slip in and have a cup of strong, black tea with you. I need the company.

I am suffering through the loss of my beloved dog, Harry. I've been wandering aimlessly and accomplishing nothing but wailing. It's the best I can do right now. I posted all about him and his passing over on the Kitchen Table, but did not want to cross post the long thread here.

I know so many people here are suffering losses, too. I realize losing a spouse, a life-long friend, or a child is unbearable and not comparable, but still love is love, and I don't know how I'll cope without my Harry.

My friend, Kathy, is here helping me today. We are vacuuming, moping, and dusting. I am racked guilt because I feel as though I'm washing away Harry's essence.

• User
    7 years ago

Oh, I know that feeling, Caroline. It never goes away. I saw your post in kitchens but I knew I wouldn't be able to leave a note.

Good to see you here, Audrey! Your tea pots would make a great trivet. Isn't there some way to transfer that to a tile? Seems to me there is. Maybe with the transfer paper we used to use for t-shirts.

Most of North Iowa is shut down today and yesterday. Rain at 30° is not rain. I have abundant ice. Also plenty of water. Considering it was below zero for 9 or 10 days I hate to complain but, now my chicken house/dog house is taking on water. I'm so afraid a horse will slip on the ice. I had a bag of quick crete on the floor. Found it too late, I'm sure. I moved it but I suspect it will be a boulder inside the bag when I get to it next spring.

• Related Discussions

Wanted: China Roses, early teas

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Ian, yes us oldies are still trying to keep this thing alive, hard work though with not many written responses. Yet look at the gallery to see the beautiful things put on by Mary Ann and other.
    ...See More

Monday....let's have tea early. And share some music :)

Q

Comments (11)
    I was thinking of this thread while I watched The Ghost and Mrs. Muir the other night. Lovely old movie. My Master's is in Biology. Looking at pond scum but technically a botany major. I still enjoy that, but spend more time teaching. Is this what morning feels like? It is still dark! (Taking dh for an early morning appointment, then home to can peaches.)
    ...See More

Had to share my early morning rug purchase, impulse buy, amazing price

Q

Comments (29)
    I too have lived with hand-tufted wool rugs for many years and never considered them "throw away" (I think that's a silly and tacky term). In fact, the only reason I got rid of them was because we had no place to use them in our new home. I did have issues with Pottery Barn rugs that smelled to high heaven, but that was a known problem with their rugs and I would be very surprised if they have not remedied that. Unless one has small, spilling children and/or incontinent pets, I can't imagine what people are doing on their rugs that would require more than spot cleaning anyway. Cooks, don't let the naysayers get you down. I trust you're going to love your beautiful new rug!
    ...See More

Can we have tea early this week?

Q

Comments (43)
    Not sure about BIG graph paper, but I still have two pads of the 8.5x11 stuff that saw me through the early stages of my remodel planning. And somewhere, I have a bigger graph page pad too, but not sure if the squares on it are larger. I would like to see some graphs that are 1/2 inch squares, now THAT would be helpful. In our old house that was killed in Hurricane Katrina, we had the 1950s era real blueprints all rolled up, and countless notes about how they built it. But these days, the blueprint industry is a lot different. Nothing "blue" about it. Moving pieces of paper around is a big improvement over trial and error moving of pieces of furniture. I like to draw a floor plan. Then I like to draw the ELEVATION of all four walls in each room. It helps me to see how well the room is balanced. No "heavy" corners, no light-weight spots, so i don't feel like my "marbles' will roll to one side of the room. I think achieving a balanced feel in a room gives me a sense of comfort. And, I know that making the most of a view, taking advantage of a natural view, or maybe screening a disturbing view out the windows, makes me feel happy and content. While I lived at MoccasinLanding, I had a neighbor who parked a real Greyhound bus (yes indeed) right next to our shared property line. (I saw that bus the other day and it was totally covered by mildew in a parking lot!) so I put in a privacy fence along that line, and then I planted a living screen. I also put in some wind chimes and hanging baskets, to keep my eye close-focused, and not allow it to range across the fence. In my back bedroom, I had a view of the small bayou, and I kept that long look down the bayou open, not blocked, because it was so pretty. In those days I was home only 63 days a year, 21 days x 3 times each year, because I was working in south Texas or south Louisiana. I took pictures of the views from each window and then while I was a safe distance away, I indulged all sorts of imaginative plans mentally, which kept me from making the worst mistakes when I came home. But when I was headed home, I knew my mission and hit the ground running when I arrived. Until you put your hand on a shovel or a paint brush or a saw, no harm done to let your imagination run wild! :)
    ...See More
  • Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

OH Caroline I am so sorry for your loss of Harry. I think losing a fur child is every bit as hard as a spouse or child mom or dad. I still have not gotten over losing our old Groucho , dog, and he has been gone for 13 years. My husband died on the dogs Birthday. I hope they are together. I also cleaned and scrubbed after I lost Joe . It is fine. You do not need to feel any guilt for it. It is your way, and mine too , of coping with your loss. Hugs to you.

Audrey darling Tea pots poster. I was sound asleep when you posted this. Then I had to go off to the chiropractor. I was in so much pain in my ribs. He said I sprained 3 or 4 of them from all the snow shoveling. Now I am not to shovel and facing another 22 inches of snow coming in the next 7 days. Holy Crapola. Whelp- I have meat in my freezer and wine in my fridge. I will get through this one way or another. I might not be sober. Hahahaha. If there ever was a reason to drink.............................

Editing to add ImHappy. I missed your post. My computer is jumpy lately. I am looking forward to the thaw also. Supposed to warm up tomorrow . I just hope not too fast. We have not been above freezing since the last storm. Not even making it into the 20's.

• desertsteph
    7 years ago

Caroline - so sorry your Harry is gone! how traumatic! it always has been for me anyway. 5 dogs back I held one in my arms at the vet and wailed - for about an hour I think. We bond so tightly with them. They are like my babies to me - especially in the past 20 some yrs with the real kids gone. my life pretty much revolves around them. The stinker I have now I had no plan to do the same. but, after my old girl got her wings, I brought this one into the house and one thing led to another. She often takes her part of the bed out of my side of it... she gently scratches at me (when I'm asleep - sometimes just pretending) when she needs to go out. gently until I don't respond, then she gets more serious about it... they are so family!

still some chilly nights here. in the 50s during the day. not much sun recently tho. I'm hoping the sun will be out in full swing soon!

my nephew is supposed to come over tomorrow to do some things for me. I'm hoping he can set up a router for me (a friend gave me 2 to try out), make my laptop do something, maybe set up my cell phone, maybe my tv (will need to get a bracket to put it on the wall), my printer which is bigger than I wanted so not sure where it'll go. if those wifi's get working then I guess it can go in the other room.

shades (anyone) - what's the best / easiest way to transfer old files from old computer to new one? how about that list of favorites on the old one? I don't want to start over on that again! how about programs? a new computer is great but this part is traumatic to me. the one I'm on now is so close to dying... I never know from day to day if it'll still be alive! but I'm not looking forward to Win 10! I don't like changing things I'm so use to. I'm getting too old for that stuff !

OTOH, I saw a 2 qt pressure cooker on tv and wondered if I should buy it and I've never used one before! I'd probably only use it to cook my chicken breasts every month tho. lately mine seems to be so dry. I think maybe I've been cooking it too long because I'm not sure if it's still pinkish or not. sigh... I guess I could try wearing my glasses when I cook it - lol!

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

Steph I use Google chrome browser and when I get new computer I just down load the google chrome browser to it and let it import my bookmarks and you instantly have everything at your finger tips. Easy peesy. As far as transferring files I usually just use a thumb drive. Or burn the important files to disk.

I am getting rid of my kitchen appliances as fast as I can. I am NOT going to be cooking for any one. Maybe put a lid over your chicken when cooking it in the oven to keep it moist. I do not do chicken breasts. I want the fat and skin of the thighs and they always turn out moist. I usually cut into one just to be sure it is cooked through.

I am up really early this morning for me. I could not lay in bed any longer and had to change my position. A little less pain this morning. Took aspirin right away when I got up to help that. So far only about 1 1/2 inches of snow but it is coming down pretty hard. 10 degrees. The big warm up has not quite happened yet.

• User
    7 years ago

There are two positives about this picture. It's above zero and it's January 18. I think the pond is smooth enough to skate on if a person would want to. It's only a couple of feet deep but not sure the ice would support you. I had thought next year I would remove the culvert under the driveway and make that a grass waterway down in the low spot. The water backs up like this all the time because the approach to the culvert is higher than the low spot in the pasture. I suppose over time the run off in the field to the south has built it up. My truck is in that garage so I might not get it out in the near future. HA! and getting up the hill would be another problem! I am hoping we get 3 or 4 more days of above freezing and that the ice will melt enough for some gravel to show through. I thought it was supposed to sun shine today. Maybe after the fog lifts it will. Fog! In January!

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

Burrrrrr that looks really cold.

Still snowing here and approaching 3 inches so far. Cracked up with my pup going out to pee. I have a small landing then three steps from back door down to patio. His hind foot was still on the landing. Front paws on last step down and he was doing his business just like that. I guess he is not liking his trail out across the patio not shoveled. When I am able to I can just flip the yellow snow over the fence. But heck he could have gone a little bit further than the steps.

• desertsteph
    7 years ago

shades - is there a down side to the chrome browser? I've never used it. I have IE now and don't particularly like it...can I DL it to 'see' without losing my IE as it is?

"down load the google chrome browser to it and let it import my bookmarks"

how does 'it' know where to get your prev bookmarks to DL?

appliances - I'm trying to get things/change things to make it as easy and safe as possible for me. could be that I only use the breasts, no skin/fat on them?

I cut into to look too - but, with my bad eye I'm not sure I'm seeing it as it really is.

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

Steph you can down load as many browsers as you want. Chrome will import your bookmarks from IE. I think Used to. I think there is a lot more troubles with IE than Chrome and in windows 10 their browser is called Edge. Always good to have more than one browser. So i did not try to delete Edge.

Forgot on the cooker. I personally do not like chicken cooked in a pot of water so I guess I am biased. I LOVE my hamilton beach indoor grill and use it almost twice a day except for when I eat eggs. It has a timer on it so if I forget it it turns off. It is about $65.00. I think it would work wel with a chicken breast especially if you sliced it in half the flat way to make it thin. I cook a pork chop about 3/4 inch thick in 7 minutes start to finish. I do not warm it up before putting the meat in. Says to but who reads directions.

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

So far 8 of the expected 12 inches of snow for today have fallen. As of an hour ago when I took these photos and as you can see it is still coming down. since my ribs are hurt I can not shovel any more than I have to to get around here and doing that very carefully.

From side door looking towards garage and my new carport patio. The table and chairs are partly buried in the carport now.

From side door looking towards street between house and garage.

22 inches expected in the next 7 days. So this would be 14 more inches to come and so far this weather reporting group has been spot on. Sadly.

• desertsteph
    7 years ago

shades - that is a ton of snow and it looks pretty... from here! don't do anything with your sore ribs! those can be so painful, I've had it a time or 2.

thx for the info on the browser. I'll DL chrome in the next few days and check it out. I use to have firefox? something like that and IE. I only used FF tho. when I had it worked on 3-4 yrs back, the guy took it off (he changed the whole system and gave me win 7) and I just left it like that. I hope importing the bookmarks works for me. that would make the change over a lot less stressful! my nephew set up a router today and said he'd add the new cpu to it on Friday. then I can just copy files from this cpu to that one. (I hope that works!) he set up my printer here in my bedroom while he worked on the set up, but Friday I want him to put it in one of the back rooms.

I don't cook the chicken breasts in water but I was thinking maybe I should add in some chicken broth the next time. I think this coming month I'll split the breasts into 4 sections and cook them differently, then see which I like best. I usually cook them first and then slice into strips. I think I'll slice 1/2 of 1 into strips first and then cook those - they should cook faster too. and 1/2 I'll cook in the pot w/ some chicken broth in the bottom. 1/2 of one I want to slice/chop into nuggets to coat and fry up in a bit of oil (see if I like those with the PW recipe). I could try steaming 1/2 of 1 too. the pot comes with a steam basket. or I could try grilling it. my sister gave me an indoor grill - I was going to give it to Jed but maybe I should try it first...

my nephew should be back on Friday to do more computer work for me. move a few things around, put new wheels on my wagon, pull some weeds (and spray weed killer), play with the dog (who has added him to her list of favorites - her uncle bob (nephew's dad), Jed and Jed's sister). by the time he made his 2nd appearance here, she was a total fan of his. there's a few other things for him to do also (a lot of them!). even more if he stays longer at my sister's. I hope he makes it a long visit.

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

Keep that young man busy Steph.

Still snowing. I am sure we did get the 12 inches predicted or darn close I have not gone out to measure yet. :'( today is the day I will build the fire in the trash burner in the garage and see if I can warm it up enough in there to get the snow to slip off the roof. It could be a very long day.

• desertsteph
    7 years ago

shades - today he is doing 'jobs' his mom had listed for him at her house - because she returns tonight from HI. while he is doing that, I'll be here adding to my list for him! He is the 2nd youngest of my nieces/nephews and just a little guy when I moved across country so we haven't had much contact over the yrs. so, I am so glad to have this time with him!

that is a heck of a lot of snow! do be careful with fire in your garage!!! and keep us posted when you can so we know you are safe.

• User
    7 years ago

I wish houzz would let me know you guys are talking.

I had the opposite of Shade's weather today. It was warm enough to melt and I think one more day will give me safe passage to all the barns. There's still ice but I can find bare spots to put my feet. And it melted off going down the hill so that isn't a carnival ride any more.

I worked hard on genealogy today. Got one family straightened out and found another that I hadn't done anything with. I hadn't even made a folder for her. How did that happen? I have her in the tree. I knew she was a child of theirs. I just hadn't looked at her life at all.

Shades, post those links here.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    7 years ago

Wow, I can't believe I've missed all this. Where have I been? First of all, Caroline, I am so, so sorry to hear about Harry's passing. I can understand your grief and have been there myself like everyone else that has ever loved and lost a furry friend. So very painful. But you know he is out of pain and running free now. Poor Harry.

Audrey, so nice to see you here. I'm happy you started tea, even if I'm two days late. :)

I'm also sorry for the snowy shut-ins! That is an awful lot of snow to have coming all at once. Please be careful and don't hurt yourself further. And if you are having a fire in your garage be careful and be sure to ventilate a lot! I'm sure you don't need me to tell you but just be careful.

Things here have warmed up considerably. They just said today that over half the days so far in January have been above average. But the really cold days have been, well, really cold. They also said that from now on, it will just keep getting warmer. Although I have been through some frigid Februarys, so I am not counting on it.

Yesterday two of my friends and I went up to the farm to visit the horses. So good to see them but oh my were they muddy!!! Still it wasn't too cold, so it was nice to spend some time brushing and feeding them treats.

Today I spent cleaning up my kitchen and then helping set up for the Farmers Market and then coming back and helping break down and then clean up from the market. I have found a downside to being involved with the market. There is a baker that comes with the most delicious bread. Another has delightful little cakes and the third farmer came with a tasty black bean hummus. So I am eating more than I would normally, but at least it's all been healthy (or mostly healthy) things. I'm still enjoying getting all the financial trappings in order. I do look forward to the day that things are set up and only have to plug the numbers in one day a week and only for a short time. We'll get there. But for now it would be nice just to have a few sunny days. Is that too much to ask??

• desertsteph
    7 years ago

" it would be nice just to have a few sunny days. Is that too much to ask??"

it sure would! even here in AZ we aren't having many sunny days right now (for a good length of time now). I hate it. I want some sunny days too! so I can hang out my laundry and clean out my car. the dust on the dash is so thick and I can't seem to force me to take a bucket of water out there to wipe it down in this damp, chilly weather!

I bet the horses where happy to have some humans visit them!

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

I am exhausted from pulling snow down off roof of carport and part of the house. Such sad news for so many people. The grocery store in Weiser went down this morning.

Ridleys collapses

There is also a house in Weiser went down. Finding out more every hour. Several onion packing sheds went down and part of a furniture store in Parma and another in Ontario. These are all within 50 miles and used to be our go to stores. Several hay barns have gone sown and individuals have mentioned shops going down. Where I used to live a neighbors shop went down.

I keep hearing all of this and no matter how bad my ribs are hurting I worked all day dragging snow down off anything I could reach. I will continue tomorrow even though it will be snowing again. Another 4 to 8 inches expected. And another 3 to 5 inches Sunday. THEN we are supposed to catch a break for a few days. My snow helper has gone to a funeral 200 miles away so I am on my own I did pay to have my driveway plowed. I would have been a week moving the 12 to 14 inches by shovel. My driveway snow pile is now 12 foot tall pushed up by the backhoe. At least I am no longer tempted to try to throw the snow up and over the top any more which is probably what hurt my ribs.

I am just heart broken for the losses of the people of Weiser and me too. Now my nearest grocery store is 38 miles each way. Also a NAPA Auto parts store in Weiser had a window pop out due to the store settling because of the snow weight. Then the ACE hardware store next to it also closed. I think the furniture store next to that also closed. Also a bowling alley went down last week and another commercial building. No business in it at the time. The guy had just bought it. Total loss and his insurance does not cover snow damage.

People are calling this winter sno-magedon. Taking my exhausted self off to bed. I will catch up reading and commenting when I can. Hopefully I will get it all down off my own roofs tomorrow. It is coming down fairly well because it is still light and dry as of tonight. No idea what the morning will bring.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    7 years ago

Chris, is this an unprecedented amount of snow falling for you??? How sad that there is so much damage. And to have it go on and on would be tough to deal with. It's one thing to have a blizzard that ends quickly and gives you time to clean up, but to have it keep coming day after day would be scary to me. Please be careful and not overdo it. I know how you much you need to make sure your buildings are safe. I wish you had someone there to help you with it. Stay strong and take care.

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

Not really Murraysmom. It is more about how it happened. We had a good hard snow then freezing rain that made a layer of ice on top of the snow. Then it happened again and again binding the now thick layers of snow together. Then the brutal cold nights of 20 bellow setting it up good and tight. Today is the first day above freezing in I do not know how long.

Then we did get a some what unusual 12 to 14 inches in 24 hours.. Some places it rained on it. Not here yet but today's snow is supposed to be heavy.

Usually we would get storms of 6 inches then several days break and it would slide off the roof. Rinse and repeat. So no real worries.

Many people are listening to the TV weather and they are giving false reports. Well not reporting the actual amounts of snow. I do not know why this is happening. People think one inch is coming when it could be 8 inches. This online place I have been monitoring is spot on so far. Praying they are wrong about the snow today. Would not hurt my feelings.

I am in on a coffee break but need to go back out there shortly.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    7 years ago

Sounds like Mother Nature is slowing building an igloo around you!!! Rough! I hope you get a break soon.

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

The good news is the west side of my house roof is slipping the snow and the bad news is I can no longer see the road out my window when I am sitting in my chair. I want to go check the other side of the house but my warm kitty is laying against my leg and I just do not feel like getting up right now.

The last bit to come on the front porch end is hanging way out there and I really hope the porch kitties are not near the edge when it falls. Another reason I do not want to go out there and chase them that direction.

YES Murraysmom I will soon be living in an igloo.

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

Forgot we actually have a bit of sunshine and 35 degrees. So far the expected snow has not hit up or has swung north or south of us. Would not hurt my feelings one bit. It also looks like the city or county had widened out our road a little bit. It was only one car width for days. Now two might be able to pass each other. I would not want to try it. I do not even want to walk out there.

And the last bit just came down over the porch end. Poor dog is freaking out.

OOPS I see more still coming down on west side. All is good keep on coming. Going to try to check the east side and garage.

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

I hate it when those people call about my computer being exposed and wanting me to let them in to fix it. So this time I decided to screw with the guy like he was doing to be. Played super stupid like I really was trying to do all he asked me to do Only I was not even on my computer. Every time he asked me to do some thing I told him I could not find it and would he explain further. Hahah He finally hung up on me when I told him I put a condom on my computer cord so none of the bad stuff can get in.

East side of house roof dripping but not slipping any further and I am losing the warmth in the day. :'( Still not daring to go out there and try to drag more down. Too dangerous.

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

HAHAHAHA the snow is getting to me. Posted this on facebook. I hope it does not offend . For those that are worried about me working out in the cold in the snow this is how we do it in Idaho. Sorry for streaked mirror it was still snowing. Imagine that.

• desertsteph
    7 years ago

"I wish houzz would let me know you guys are talking."

I get emails in spam. I check it every few days.

shades - I mess with 'em too. when someone calls about house 'security' systems. I tell 'em I've got 2 - Rottweilers... most are just recorded scripts tho. the 'block' button on my phone is getting a fair amount of use! I can tell when someone calls back. it'll ring just once and stop and caller ID will read 'blocked call'.

• desertsteph
    7 years ago

shades - are you shoveling snow in your undies? have you heard of 'long underwear' ? a snow suit?

• caroline94535
    7 years ago

Oh Shades! You've cracked (me) up! LOL Hang in there, you gorgeous creature!

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

OH Steph not my underwear it is a bathing suit silly.

Caroline I laughed so hard when I thought to do this picture. Was snowing like crazy out there. I actually was not cold. I think I am losing it. Just so many worry about me being out in the cold. It is not all that cold usually when it snows. Nothing like the bellow zero nights we have had.

Any one remember the old family on the porch with the pitch fork. This was my inspiration.

• desertsteph
    7 years ago

"OH Steph not my underwear it is a bathing suit silly."

oh thank goodness! I'm already half blind... thought I'd be struck blind in my right eye too. (just kidding!)

you're the silly! out in the snow half nekkid. lol!

can you imagine if a neighbor or drive by saw you out there in the snow like that? you could end up with a police 'wellness check'! we'd all have to come claim you and vouch for your sanity. that could be shaky ground... ha!

I don't think it's got below 40 here lately - but I'm cold! of course, I don't have 'all house' heat. I just use 2 space heaters. and it's damp from the rains. that and when the barometer changes get to me.

I'm hating the rain, I'd sure hate snow.

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

LOL Steph. About now I would welcome a police wellness check. I would hand him a shovel while I went in to have a glass of wine.

The house roof on east side is done good enough for me for now. I even got some of the ice down. Tomorrow another 8 inches possible and I will be back to the north end of the east roof again. I still have to do the driveway and patio trail and kitty kennel so I am rationing my energy right now. One coffee pot gone. I think I will do another one with double strength today.

And Steph I again had to take my hat and coat off this morning I was getting too warm working. It is 35 degrees out there so praying the east side of the roof will let go and save me all this work. It is close.

• desertsteph
    7 years ago

" I would hand him a shovel while I went in to have a glass of wine."

what a great idea! should I call them? I could tell them you're a wild woman and they should send at least 4 officers - with shovels!

I do hope the one side of snow slides off... don't go into that area!

• User
    7 years ago

Well, Houzz doesn't even end up in my spam folder.

It was warm again today and I have huge lakes. I chipped ice this morning for a couple of hours and by tonight that pond had drained into the big lake. The path to all the barns is mostly clear of snow and ice, just water left so when I fall I'll get good and wet. While I was thinking I could channel lake water in a new direction I stepped into wet snow up past my knees. Thought for a minute I'd have to lay down and roll out! Thank goodness that didn't happen because there must have been 8 inches of water in the bottom. If my weather guy is right, it will be above freezing for 2 or 3 more days. Now if I could just have some sun instead of fog I'd be in a better mood. But then the snow would melt faster and I already have too much water where I don't want it. I was sweating, too.

Thinking day after tomorrow Monday I can finish the chapter for the John Glawe/Caroline Arndt family. I've had one more idea that I really like even if it adds a few more hours. I think I will go through the "kids" and add the births of their children. Then I'll have all the grandchildren listed . I'll put them in the time line in the correct place. One reason I thought I should do that is because one of the sons left bequests to 50 nieces and nephews in his will. I have learned so much by using newspapers at genealogybank and making the time line from the stuff they published. Things I would never have known otherwise. And another cousin whose father and grandfather did genealogy and must have kept everything has been feeding me information and pictures. Such wonderful pictures! Unfortunately, my great grandmother lived in Iowa so she didn't get into any of the family pictures. Still, it was cool to see everyone else.

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

WOW ImHappy that genealogy find is so great. Who would even imagine a family would have 50 nieces and nephews. I always remember leave no stone un-turned when doing genealogy. Some day some one else will come across your work and bless you.

Picture I took of the house tonight. I was standing in front of the garage. The underside roof is the end of my carport and YES the Ranger is half buried. No time to dig it out now and besides it hurts my ribs.

Then from the back door of the garage up to the side doorway at the laundry room. Trail is getting deeper and deeper and narrower too.

Time for my shower and bed. Tomorrow is another day of pulling snow down off the roof. I am gaining on it slowly. If it would only slip for me tonight. Sure would save me a lot of work. It is still 35 degrees.

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

Hahahaha Murraysmom and Yes that is the picture I was thinking about. Only I was holding the snow shovel and I was trying to be serious but kept laughing.

• desertsteph
    7 years ago

wow shades, that's an absolute ton of snow! another day or so of it and you will be in an igloo!

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

Sp far no snow. It is on the way. Froze up last night before the roof slipped soooooooooooo. If I can get out there I will try to drag some more down. Rib, only one this time, is hurting this morning. I will not be able to be as energetic. And the temperature has gone down to 27 so the ice left on the roof has set up again. It had slipped down about 6 inches last night but still hung on.

Snow it building up higher and higher. UGH. Feeling really tired this morning.

• User
    7 years ago

That looks like Santa's village! I bet he's there somewhere.

We had snow like that in 2000. The gravel roads were one lane so if you met someone, one of you had to back up. Even the highways had lots of places where it was one lane. They brought in those huge snow blowers but it still took forever.

I hope the snow doesn't bend your fence.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    7 years ago

I know I've said this before but this amount of snow is just unbelievable to me. And the fact that it is staying cold so it isn't melting is just plain mean!!!

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

I finished about 50 foot or so of the roof today. Now I need to get back out there and work on the driveway. Those piles around the house are a lot taller now. I was standing on them to pull the snow off the roof. No ladder needed now. I am so done in but more snow on the way and if I can get some of it out of the driveway tonight it will not be so hard to do again tomorrow. It is about 4 inches now and 8 inches almost becomes impossible for me to push. So cheese burger is down tea is down. I have a second pair of dry boots dry jeans and gloves.

Hers is what I have gone through today in clothing all soaking wet and hanging to dry now. Three jackets 10 pair of gloves and #11 went in the trash three pair of socks one pair of boots and two pair of jeans. Oh and my hat. What a day. I best get out there. It is getting late. I have a good bright light to work by.

• User
    7 years ago

I hear I'm getting it tomorrow. Complete with wind. Can't wait.

I made a new recipe tonight. Next time I'll use a cake pan and double the biscuit part. Since I have the chicken broth saved in the freezer I'll use it again but when that's gone I won't open a can for 1/2 a cup. I'll use milk or water.

Chicken pot pie

pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, cubed
    • 1/2
      cup fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
      cups chopped cooked chicken
      pkg. (16 oz.) frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, green beans, peas),
      thawed
    • 1/4
      tsp. garlic powder
      egg
    • 1/2
      cup milk
      cup all-purpose baking mix
    • Heat oven to 400°F.
    • Cook cream cheese and broth
      in large saucepan on low heat until cream cheese is completely melted and
      mixture is well blended, stirring frequently with whisk. Stir in chicken,
      vegetables and garlic powder.
    • Spoon into 9-inch pie plate.
      Whisk egg and milk in medium bowl until blended. Add baking mix; stir just
      until moistened. Spread over chicken mixture. Place pie plate on baking
      sheet.

Bake 25 to 30 min. or until golden brown

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

Sounds Delicious ImHappy. Good luck with your snow and wind. We did not get too much wind but I did work out there yesterday while 4 more inches fell.

I am FINALLY DONE with my roof. Such a relief. Now the ice is off of it it should slide normally again. The ice layer was keeping the snow from sliding and it was not warming up enough to slip the ice layer. Driveway got done too last night,finishing at 10PM,before the city got to muck it up with his tire tracks. NOW we are supposed to get a week of no snow then it could start again a week from Tomorrow. I would be happy if it did not start again. I and many others have had their fill of it. Talked to my friend in Planning and Zoning and he said the little town of Weiser has lost 150 roofs of one sort of another. Some sheds. Even so it is a loss. This has not been a normal series of storms. I am so tired I do not even feel like playing with my glass or anything tonight. Just sitting here drinking tea and dozing is working for me.

Watched part of a video of them rescuing a man from under his collapsed carport. Showed how thick the snow was on their roof. No wonder it went down. Mine was close to three foot deep on the ridge. I had pulled it off a couple of times but could not break the ice loose until it warmed up a bit.

A week of bliss I hope coming up for me.

• desertsteph
    7 years ago

Imhappy&Iknowit - was it really rich tasting. sounds like it would be with all that cream cheese. I can't eat things that are rich - like a white sauce (used with many chicken dishes). too rich for me. I had an enchilada dinner recently (cheese) and it was so 'rich' tasting to me I could hardly it it. I called the restaurant the next day and asked what cheese they used in it - was Monterey jack. I have a Mexican recipe that I use mj in and I'm fine with it (or was yrs back when I made it). I think my system has just changed over the yrs. Even the chili I made all the yrs raising kids is now too spicy for me! and I hate that - cause I loved my chili.

if it isn't too rich tasting, I might try it. I'd have to cut it in half I think... when you list 'baking mix', is that just flour or something like bisquick?

I think I could cook it in my one pot. I have a small (6" diameter) pot to use in it. like a 6" dia. high sided cake pan - with a wire handle across the top.

• User
    7 years ago

Bisquick. And it might be too rich for you. Halve the cream cheese? That pot won't be big enough. I used a pyrex casserole dish. I will also use more vegetables and less chicken. It was good. I ate it! Just want to try some adjustments.