SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrobbins_gw

Being half

Mrobbins
16 years ago

Sorry I haven't written for a long time, folks.

Sorry I am writing because I feel the kind of pain that makes me want to run into the middle of the town square and beat on a pot with a wooden spoon until all the other housewives run out and gather around to ask me what's wrong.

What's wrong? Nothing too serious. But I feel like I am being torn apart by my two halves. My WASP half thinks I am being ridiculous to be so upset. My Slavic half is sobbing at the treatment my chorus, including me, is giving to one of the pieces of music holiest to my heart: The Rachmaninov Vespers. The chorus doesn't understand the piece. They don't understand the words, which are in Church Slavonic. I used everything in my power to help: I translated the text word-for-word and emailed the document to the entire chorus, made one hundred CD copies of my favorite recording of the piece so everyone would have one, cooked borscht for our one weekend rehearsal, invited them all to Russian Orthodox church services (nobody took me up on that one). I am realizing my limitations: I am only one person and not the strongest voice, so I can't sing this concert for everyone. I think I will simply keep going with listening to recordings and discovering new beauties and meanings there and, when we get to our concert in four days, I will sing the piece as I know it in my soul, nevermind that everyone around me is either confused, resentful, or bored. And maybe I'll quit this group and go join my cousin's godmother's church choir, which is 100% (or more) Ukrainian, not high musically, but frankly the high musicality of my current chorus seems like pretty thin fabric to me now.

Ridiculous of me to vent these oversensitive feelings? Perhaps. But I feel a little better now. Thanks for listening.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction
More Discussions