SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pmacbee

Want a Red Cedar Roof, Concerns About Longevity?

Pam
6 years ago

About 15 years later than we hoped, we are finally building the south-Jersey beach house we've dreamed about. We really want a warmer toned wood roof than the light silver- gray Alaskan Yellow Cedar that our architect loves --it's beautiful, but it dictates a cool (blue, gray, green) paint palette for siding, whereas we (being half Californian) want a warm white and wood tone palette. Being from the east coast I could probably come around to the gray and white look, but unfortunately my Californian husband and son find it bleak and unwelcoming. So we want Western Red Cedar.

But the more I read, the more concerned I get that red cedar roofs today are much softer than they used to be, and can't be expected to last nearly as long as the roofs of the houses around us that went up between the 20s and 80s. Is that accurate? Does it depend on the grade of the shingle/shake, or is today's premium or No. 1 red cedar just not as resilient? Can anybody give thoughts on the wisdom or unwisdom of using red cedar (so far architect is specifying shingles rather than shakes), what our best bets are for making a red cedar roof last if we are required to use fire-rated material, and if there are other wood roofs out there (or really great looking synthetic shakes?) that might work for us if we want a brown-gray roof rather than a silver-gray one? We've see one wallaba shake roof that is absolutely beautiful, but can't find out anything about warranties or cost for that kind of roof. All thoughts welcome and greatly appreciated!

Comments (7)