SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Probably why I never have cared for pasta.

gandle
17 years ago

Living with my grandparents in the 20's and 30's, we lived a mile from a small village of about 100 people. There were 2 grocery stores, a meat market and a drug store plus blacksmith, hardware a doctor and dentist several gas stations a bank and that was about it. When you went to the grocery store you were expected to have your wants all listed on a piece of paper and give it to a clerk. Then you sat and waited in one of the chairs for that purpose.

The clerk would go around the store gathering your wares and sack and tie them for you. The grocery stores cerrtainly didn't have refrigeration, if you wanted ice cream you went to the drug store, if you wanted milk or eggs the towns people had to find someone that had cows or chickens although I believe most of the people in town had both.

When grandma bought macaroni it was always scooped out of a big box, it sure didn't come in a consumer size box or package, the clerk just lifted the lid and scooped out want you wanted. When grandma got home she was dumping the macaroni into a big glass jar and a very dried up mouse came out. To this day I really don't care for pasta and sure don't want meat sauce with spaghetti.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions