SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryneedssleep_gw

McIntosh-type apples: Decisions, decisions!

maryneedssleep
14 years ago

Hello all: any advice on choosing a McIntosh type apple?

I have already ordered a couple of other apples for the Spring (Ashmeads Kernel and Ellisons Orange), and now I want a McIntosh-type. There are so many out there, but I think I've narrowed it down to those listed below. I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences with these or others!

I don't care how the apples look or what % red they are, but it's not just about taste -- I want to actually get apples! So disease resistance is important.

I have heard of people removing healthy Macoun trees because they never got apples due to fruit drop!

• McIntosh and its sports: Excellent taste. Original tastes much better than most sports, which are often bred for % red. Soft. Does not keep well. Not for baking (turns to mush).
  • Linda Mac: Good in the Northeast. Retains the classic McIntosh flavor. Tolerant to fire blight. Very resistant to C.A.R. Scab-susceptible. Â
  • Wijcik Super-Compact McIntosh An extremely compact sport of Summerland Red McIntosh. Internodes only about 1/2 inch. Typical Mac flavor. Wijcik on MM.106 or MM.111 makes a true dwarf tree - - comparable to Worcester Mac/M.9.  Tolerant to fire blight. Very resistant to C.A.R. Scab-susceptible. Sounds interesting if I decide not to espalier, but Cummins doesn't list for 2010.
  • Macoun (McIntosh x Jersey Black): Considered the best eating apple by some. Has a flavor that many prefer to Mac. Harvest: early to mid-October. Must be thinned to prevent biennial bearing and small fruit. Fruit drops readily and bruises easily. Delicate, can not ship. Resistant to C.A.R. Scab-susceptible.   Very resistant to fireblight.
  • Spartan (McIntosh x Newton Pippin): Much higher quality than McIntosh. Highly aromatic fine flavor. Not nearly as prone to preharvest drop as McIntosh. Firmer than McIntosh and keeps better. Precocious and consistently heavy bearer, but must be thinned early to get commercial size. Resistant to cedar apple rust, mildew and fire blight. Hardy. The flavor does not hold up well when cooked and has to lean on a lemon or two.
  • Belmac: A cross between a disease resistant selection (Ottawa 521) and Spartan. Ripen in late September/early October and keep three months or more. Delicious sweet/tart McIntosh flavor. Resists scab, mildew, and cedar apple rust.
  • Cortland(McIntosh x Ben Davis): Harvest in September. You can count on Cortlands to bear every year. Larger than McIntosh. Suited for fruit salads because slices are usually slow to brown. Grower-friendly tree. Winter-hardy to -40F. Tolerant to fire blight. Susceptible to C.A.R. and Scab.

I have never grown apples before, but I have 2 year old Asian pears that seem to be thriving in our clay soil. The yard is sloped. I am also considering espalier for some trees in the back yard. (So on a side note: Any tips for rootstocks for espalier in clay soil -- I want them to stay small!...

Comments (9)