SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ramathiam_gw

Mower deck screams under load

ramathiam
16 years ago

I have a Crafsman 20HP lawn tractor with a 46" deck thats around 10 years old. For the past few years I've been battling a problem here and there that I haven't been able to kick. Under a moderate to heavy load, the belt begins squeaking (more like screaming) very loadly on the left side of the deck. This side of the deck has a pulley that ties the blades together and also a pulley (stacked on top of the other) that connects to the engine and drives the deck.

I've changed the belts out multiple times without any long term gain. I've changed out deck and drive belts and can't seem to lick this squeek. With both belts connected on the left side, I can't tell exactly which belt is making the noise. In the past, changing the deck belt made the squeek go away for the first 20-30 minutes of mowing, but it returned. I'm pretty sure its coming from the deck belt because when it does start screaming, the left side of the deck doesn't cut very well. I have checked the idler pulleys and they both move freely as well as changed out the shaft assembly on the left side mandrel. The bearings on this side were in really poor shape and definitely needed changing.

I appreciate any insight on tracking down this irritating problem.

Many Thanks.

Comments (5)