SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gbig2

KBG day 5, is soil wet enough?

16 years ago

I have 6, all metal, gilmore sprinklers set up (from Lowes, $10 a pc, 6500 foot radius) . They are in 3 zones, 2 per zone, running 2 at a time. I am watering for 15 minutes at 9:30 am, 2 pm, 5:30 pm. I'm concerned because, although I see that the sprinklers are getting water to the soil, the soil seems to dry out quickly. On the mid to outside range it looks dry soon after the 15 minutes. I gently walked out to a "dry spot", 10 minutes after they stopped running and the top of soil feels dry, but it's moist half an inch beneath the surface (I stuck my finger in the ground). In a 15 foot radius around the sprinklers it looks wet and stays wet for a longer period.

What should I do? It appears that my sprinklers may be inconsistently watering the whole radius. I visually see that water is reaching the whole radius though. Should I increase the time to 20 minutes, 3 times a day? The risk there being that the area that looks wet (around the sprinkler) will get even more wet. It's been 6 days and no rain to help either. I'm thinking I need to increase the duration and also do a thorough soaking this evening?

Comments (20)