SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulinct

topdressing KBG in sandy soil to raise low spots over time

paulinct
15 years ago

Hi folks,

My grass is finally all woken up and I would like to start a topdressing program to slowly bring up some low spots as far as I can this season. Lawn is KBG seeded last year.

I've read around a bit and it seems that sharp sand is recommended for this so long as you don't have sandy soil. Most of my lawn is growing in 12" of dark topsoil with no significant clay capping 10 feet of sand, but the low areas I want to fix are areas that have settled over a relatively new (5 year old) septic system, and I suspect the contractor filled a lot of that excavation with sand and that the soil is not nearly as good there. So I am thinking that topsoil may be a better choice for me, though I would appreciate any advice on that.

Anyway, whatever I use, I am trying to figure out the rationale for putting down only 1/4" to 1/2" of material at a time. I understand that the idea is not to smother the grass, but what exactly am I worried about covering up? The crowns? Forgive my ignorance, but from what I can tell I would be covering them even with 1/4" of topsoil. So why is that OK?

I am also trying to figure out how often I can repeat applications. I've read "every three weeks" but I have no idea what that is based on, or what I should be looking for to determine whether the lawn is ready for another application. I don't mind the work of many applications, but I'd like to go about this as efficiently as I can while still being confident that I am not about to smother my new grass.

If that is possible....

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thank you,

Paul

Comments (5)