SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hsnv

brown patch in st augustine palmetto... or not?

hsnv
14 years ago

In april I laid 600sq ft of st augustine palmetto sod after tilling to a depth of 6 inches and tilling in a ton of organic composted starter soil. I chose the palmetto for its shade tolerance, as the whole yard gets sun through trees for most of the day. Until about a month ago, it looked fantastic, but as it got hotter (daily highs above 100F) some brown patches started appearing. It started with thinning in a general area that gradually progressed to a brown patch.

After establishment and until 2 weeks ago, I was watering 3 days a week (three intervals of 3 minutes an hour apart) but I think it was still too much, as the areas most affected have the poorest drainage and are shaded for much of the day. Now that I have replaced my broken moisture meter, I see that root level is still moist on the third day after watering in the healthiest areas, and WET in the brown areas.

So now I backed my watering program off to every third or fourth day, letting the grass wilt a bit before watering-- I have core aerated and applied a myclobutanil fungicide at a moderate level. I have NOT fertilized this lawn, because I am confused about whether or not I should at this time of year and with a possible fungus problem.

My questions: 1) Does it seem likely that this problem is fungal and caused from over-watering in shade? 2) Should I re-apply fungicide in two weeks, assuming it is brown patch? 3) Should I assume that the brown patches are dead, remove the root system in the area and transplant a plug from elsewhere in the lawn? 4) Should I fertilize this time of year?

Any help would be very welcome! I have a photo but doesn't seem like there's a way to post it?

Comments (7)