SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

small engine repair IV.....

andrelaplume2
14 years ago

Ok, 4th post for those still helping..Ariens, HSK600 engine, 1996 model, stalled under load last year, you guys helped me identify the carb and how to disassemble it and clean it. Did so. Reassembled, started and was running but leaking gas. I bought the suggested part kit. I think I was missing the seat for the needle and the gasket around the screw was shot and thatwas why it was leaking. I just reassmebled it with the new parts. No more gas leak but it does not start either.

I think my trouble is with the needle. I really have no feel for how it should be when back in place. Its akward but I put a little mirror in and I am pretty sure the original seat was no longer in place. I pushed the new one in as far as it would go. I hung the needle on the float and sort of pushed the needle in the hole where the seat was and stuck the hinge pin back in. It feels to me like the needle touches the seat. There is a little play in the float but not much...there was more when the seat was missing. I have no idea if the float should bob up and down very loosely or be stiffish. I guess I do not mechanically understand what the parts are suppose to do. Still I fell like I have to be close! I tried to take some pics to show how the stuff is hanging before I put the bowl back on. The open end of the needle clip is pointing towards the camera and the choke lever. There is gas in the tank. The carb bowl appears shaped to let the float hang at an angle so I am pretty sure I have it back on right. Ideas?

From far away:

{{gwi:140931}}

A little closer:

{{gwi:140932}}

Tried to get a cloe up of how the needle hangs:

{{gwi:140933}}

Comments (19)