SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maurice_pudlo

non chemical lawn removal methods

maurice_pudlo
13 years ago

I'm weeding and weeding and weeding and making some good progress in so far as getting rid of the non grass stuff in my for lack of a better term "lawn".

I have about 8 years to get the "lawn" into shape, by then the kids will have all moved on and I plan to relocate closer to a particular school to continue higher studies.

My current plan is to continue to weed the non grass stuff, water as required, mow high, and ammend the soil with insect waste (I breed insects for use as feeders for reptiles).

Near the end of my 8 year run, I'd like to eliminate the random grasses and seed a new lawn with something uniform in an effort to make the home more sale worthy and do so without using any chemicals.

I believe there is a method where the current lawn is covered with thick black plastic or similar material and the combination of shade, heat, lack of water I presume kills off all that is covered. I'm not sure what this is called.

I'd like to know if there are any particulars to this method I should know about in advance, I assume this method also kills a large number of in ground insects as well as ground cover. I figure doing half of the lawn one year and the remaining portion the second year would allow for rapid replacement of the insects with limited harm overall.

My guess is that the weeding will reduce the non grass weeds to near zero in the next few years and ease the transition to a singular species ground cover when the time comes for that.

I will not use any chemicals, I have several reptiles that consume live grass as a portion of their regular diet and I can't allow them to eat grass that is in any way treated with chemicals.

Same goes for fertilizer, I (rather the insects I breed) produce 20lbs or more of waste every week which I add to the lawn in fall at a rate of just under one pound per square foot.

Is the cover and kill method effective or should I look for another more effective method of total lawn removal?

Home sales in my area are very slow, so I may end up residing in the home for some time post lawn replacement.

I'm not sure at this point if sod or seed is the way I wish to go in the end, but I'm somewhat leaning toward seed for the 100% chemical free aspects of this effort.

Maurice Pudlo

Comments (5)