SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saysay_gw

Moss - Make it Stop!

saysay
13 years ago

Hi all!

I need some advice about what to do with our moss problem. Last fall we raked all of the moss up in our backyard - a LOT of it (this has been a problem for 2 years), and aerated, reseeded and fertilized. Nothing came up this spring so we opted for hydroseed ($600). In addition to the hydroseed, it was slit-seeded and fertilized. It all came in great, but now the moss is back in FULL force! Our lawn is quickly returning to the sparse patchiness that it originally was. We have had our soil tested - it's 6.5 ph which I was told is OK. Our backyard is quite shaded (some spots are full sun, but 75% of it is filtered sunlight), it faces east, it's surrounded by trees (3 of which are large white pines) and the overall backyard sits low. We've been in the house for 6 years and I don't remember having this much moss. We've trimmed trees, even cut one down! Please help me! Is there a way I can prevent the moss from developing or spreading? What are we doing wrong? All we want is a decent backyard for our little toddler. Thank you in advance!

Comments (5)