SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
egghead2004

KBG seed types (Bestlawn's list)

egghead2004
15 years ago

I found this list Beltlawn came up with. For all of those planning on seeding this year with KBG, You'll want to choose one of each of the 3 types. Check out you local NTEP.org test data to see what performs best in your state.

Compact Type

Able 1, Alpine, Bewitched, Blackberry, Blacksburg, Blackstone, Bravado, Broadway, Chicago II, Diva, Dynamo, Glade, Goldstar, Moonlight, Moonshadow, Princeton (P-105), Prosperity, Ram I, Serene, Wildwood

Compact-Midnight Type

Alexa, Arcadia, Award, Awesome, Barrister, Beyond, Blue Velvet, Bluestone, Courtyard-high maintenance, Everest, Everglade, Excursion, Freedom II & III, Ginney, Impact, Liberator, Midnight, Midnight II, Midnight Star, Moonbeam, NuDestiny, NuGlade, Odyssey, Perfection, Quantum Leap, Rhythm, Rugby II, Total Eclipse, Tsunami

Compact-America Type

America, Apollo, Arrow, Bedazzled, Bordeaux, Boutique (changed to "Other" type), Brilliant, Dynamo, Glenmont, Kingfisher, Langara, Mallard, Mercury, Mystere, Royale, Showcase, Sonoma, Unique

There are 12-14 genetic families, but I only select (and suggest selecting) from these three. The reason is that the others for the most part have not undergone nearly the improvements in such areas as genetic color, growth habit, disease resistance, etc. as have the "Compact" types, so itÂs almost futile to incorporate them into a KBG blend because theyÂre just too different. Please donÂt misconstrue. IÂm not saying this applies to all of the others, but these three categories have experienced overwhelming introductions of new hybrid cultivars and improved varieties. The reasons that once dictated the need for blending 4-5 bluegrasses together (or mixing in other species for that matter) is pretty much obsolete now with progressive developments in disease resistance, shade tolerance, and heat/drought tolerance most especially. As A.J. mentioned, most of these will easily thrive as a mono stand so certainly will as a mono culture.

I select for good overall disease protection but if there is a disease that commonly plagues your lawn, I would need you to tell me that because I rarely ask. I always ask for shade conditions but neglected to ask you, so please inform in case I have to reconsider my suggestions to you.

It doesnÂt appear Lebanon Seaboard has yet submitted Zinfandel to NTEP trials, plus it seems to still be in the hush stages, so IÂm not yet aware of its classification. It will be available for purchase in September, but I can pretty much guarantee it will be next to impossible to buy this soon.

HereÂs a general description:

excellent overall turf quality

dark green genetic color

excellent performance at lower cutting heights

excellent resistance to leaf spot, stripe smut and stem rust

very good winter color and spring green-up

medium-fine leaf texture

excellent turf density and wear tolerance

Comment (1)