SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joelco_gw

Complete Lawn Renovation Advice..

JoelCO
10 years ago

Well, three years ago we moved into a house that was built in 2002. (Rapid City, South Dakota, Zone 3 I believe) The lawn was looking pretty healthy and green without any concerns. The first year we watered daily on a regular basis and had no issues with it. This next year we decided to cut back as it was getting too expensive to keep up along with other expenses of being a first time home owner. This past year we stopped watering completely as we were expecting a child who is now three months. (wanted to save as much as possible)...Now that life has settled down a little and I'm getting used to having less sleep I've decided to whip the yard back into shape.

The main area that I am going to renovate is about 1,500 square feet and about 75% weeds and dirt. The soil seems like it is in decent shape as it had no problems growing grass just a couple years go. It is a bit more compacted than usual due to rainfall and snow. There was never any foot traffic on it other than an occasional mowing. I will post pictures later this evening when I get home from work for better clarity.

My question that I have is a very broad question on the basic steps in doing a renovation with the information that I have given. I've purchased a concentrated roundup that is waiting to take action in a couple of days. After the few weeks of killing weeds and grass is where I am getting mixed advice on what to do.... i.e (from people who think rototilling is an offspring of the devil to people who swear its the only way to go about starting this process). Does rototilling the top 4-6 inches really cause a bigger weed problem after they are all killed, mowed and raked away? To me it seems like it would help very much with the leveling of the bumps and low spots. Should I just use a vertical rake or dethatcher and rip it up as much as i can? Other than that step I can probably figure the rest out with the help from local nurseries about fertilizing/sowing techniques. (I am planting new seed, not using sod) A helpful breakdown of this process would be greatly appreciated as I plan to start the "dirty" work at the end of August. Which would be a good starting time for what I'm doing right?

Thanks so much!

Comments (11)