SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexander3_gw

Just got potted Peterson paw paws.

alexander3_gw
13 years ago

I just received two potted Susquehanna pawpaws from Forrest Keeling Nursery..Quite an adventure with them, they clearly don't do much in the way of retail sales, they're primarily a wholesale nursery.

Last year I saw on their web site that they were selling Peterson pawpaws. The web page said "Not a wholesale customer? No problem! Retail customers may call us."

So I called, and the man I spoke with said, no, sorry, they don't actually sell retail.

This summer I saw that the web page had not changed, so I called again, thinking I would ask them who their wholesale customers are. But first I asked to buy a couple paw paw trees. The woman said OK! I placed my order, and she said it would ship October 15th.

I received an invoice confirming that.

Several days after the 15th, there was no charge to my credit card, so I called. The woman I spoke with asked where I was from, and when I told her Pennsylvania, she said sorry, we can't ship there, because of an agreement with a sister company. I asked if they had intended to inform me, and she said they just got a memo that day. I asked if they could ship to Illinois, and she said yes, so I gave them my Mom's address.

Three days later, I get a notice, postmarked the day after I spoke with them, that my order has been cancelled! I call up again, and get it straightened out. She tells me that she doesn't know when they will start shipping.

Two days later, the package arrives at my Mom's house. My brother shipped the package out to me on Monday.

The trees are in 3.5"X3.5"X4.25" pots. They're the sort of pots with a just a cross of plastic on the bottom, I guess for air pruning of the roots. They like to brag about their "RPM method" which supposedly results in much better root development, but I'd rather get something in a little more soil, and a deeper pot. We'll see how the roots look when I plant in the ground. I don't want to look now, because the potting medium is so loose. The grafts are really nice, barely visible, look like whip and tongue. The shoots are 10" and 14" tall.

Packaging was just OK. Plenty of packing material, so the plants didn't shift around, but the pots were only loosely wrapped in saran wrap, so a lot of the (pine bark based) potting medium fell out. Nothing dried out though, everything was still moist, so I think they'll be fine, but some tape or rubber bands to hold the wrapping on should be standard.

I'm sure Neal Peterson has his reasons for choosing Nolin and Forrest Keeling as the only nurseries licensed to distribute his paw paws, but I'm not that crazy about either choice.

Anyhow, if you're looking for Peterson pawpaws, you may be able to get them from Forrest Keeling right now, depending on where you live, and maybe depending on who answers their phone.

To be fair, I'll just say again that they are primarily wholesale, so maybe that's why they aren't adept at retail. Everyone I spoke with on the phone was quite nice and...

Comments (18)