SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gonebananas_gw

Just ate the first two paw paws of the season. 'Mango'

gonebananas_gw
14 years ago

Weeks early and only about half the size they can get in other years. Excellent flavor though. Northern-origin better-tasting paw paw selections (such as "Mango") just don't seem too happy here on sand (despite fertilizing, deep mulching, iron spraying, watering) and in latitude 34 sun and heat. The sun and heat perhaps are the main problems (I will use white shadecloth above it next year to help see. I am afraid there may be a disease stress too. Seeding paw paws from local native plants fare somewhat better even in sun much of the day. The upland soils are much poorer than the bottomland silts they grow native upon so they still don't grow quite as well. In my many potted plants being grown as rootstock or crossing experiments or native selection, a soil made from compost, in turn made from kitchen-waste and leaves and LOTS of mineral soil seems to grow them best. A potting soil made from fine pine bark, peat, perlite, composted manure, and dolomite works OK for a year and then shows strong nutritional (disease?) problems (general chlorosis) that doesn't respond to complete fertilizers by root or foliar. I'm still baffled.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH