SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megamav

Should I try growin Paw Paws?

megamav
12 years ago

For those that grow paw paws are they really worth growing?

I have 3 semi-dwarf apple trees that consume the part of my yard that gets about 7 hours of sun a day, and I've been doing some reading about paw paws and they seem to prefer *some* shade.

In my backyard, the west side is all forest, so I could plant 2 paw paws as understory trees from white pines that are around 40 feet tall and not really all that thick in canopy. They would get about 4 hours of sun at the edge of the forest, from about 8:30 to about 1PM, then the sun would go back into the forest. My soil is sandy but somewhat moist near the forest's edge and acidic, from 5.8-6.3 ph.

I would have to take out a skinny ornamental cherry tree that isnt doing so hot in 3-4 hours sun and wipe out a few half dead 10 foot white pines.

Each spot has about a 12x12 of space between trees.

So... anyone think its worth it for me to do it?

I just dont know a lot about them, never had one, never see them around here farmers markets or stores, but prefer the flavors they're described to be, banana, mango, pineapple type of tropical flavors. The only things I've read are a few posts on here, and the link below to Purdue's hort department.

I thought it would be a neat project, but im not sure it would work out with my situation, or if they're worth the hassle.

Thanks in advance,

-Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: Purdue University - Doc on Paw Paws

Comments (16)