SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
turf_toes

Backyard renovation -- crossing my fingers

turf_toes
16 years ago

As many intrepid readers may recall, I had an unscheduled visit from Chemlawn in June (I'm not a customer); They applied a pre-emergent (barricade).

The company was very nice when I called to complain, telling me I didn't have to pay for it!

The half-life of this stuff is about four months. Unfortunately for me, I have the last half of my backyard still needing a renovation to KBG.

Well, not wanting to let the old Tall Fescue/Rye mix that remains in the last section of the backyard live for another year, I decided to beat the heck out of the dirt in that area to break the "barricade."

I cut the dead lawn at the lowest setting of my Toro SR Mower.

I used the slit seeder (it was a Classen, really a dethather with a seed bin in front) from Home Depot to beat the soil. I ran the machine at it's deepest setting horizontally, vertically and diagonally without using the seeder portion of the machine. The bare soil seemed pretty beat up with lots of grooves.

I raked up all the material and then Then I adjusted the machine to its highest setting and seeded in the aforementioned three directions. Finally, I used a lawn roller to make sure the seed is making good seed-to-soil contact.

Now I get to wait and see who is gonna win this fight. Me or the barricade (I think I'm the underdog in this fight -- but I'm hoping for a lucky punch.)

Comments (11)