SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellyp147

Need groundcover in my backyard beds

kellyp147
15 years ago

Hi there!

We are digging up the flower/veggie beds in our backyard. This is our first season, since we moved here in September. We're in North OKC.

My beds are about 2' deep and go all the way around the perimeter of our South facing backyard (the house faces north).

We have major bermuda grass in the beds in the sunny northwest side of the yard. We're tilling it all up this weekend, digging a trench around the edges, putting in two layers of landscape timbers, and planting my veggies really close together with creeping/leafing types in between all the bigger plants. Do you think that'll be enough to keep my bermuda grass from taking over again?

But the real reason I posted: I do not have the skill/time to make all the beds into veggies right now - I'm just using the beds in the sunnier Northwest side.

But I do not want to leave the beds in the southeast side bare from tilling (which is a lot of space!). Bermuda grass isn't a problem over there, but weeds can be.

What is a good groundcover that is a) fast-growing, b) a good weed barrier, and c)can handle afternoon sunlight?

If I'm going down the wrong track here, let me know! What should I do with those beds that will be bare soil this weekend, but that I won't plant any veggie plants in???

Thanks so much! I'm nearly clueless, but want to learn. :)

Comments (25)