SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryan_bolt3

Need ideas for large, sloping, backyard flower bed

Ryan Bolt
8 years ago

My backyard consists of a little grass section and this huge (70'x30') 2,100 sq ft, sloped flower bed. The builders put in a few shrubs and some tall grass hedge things. I've attached a few pictures.
I built a small retaining wall a few years ago to give some separation from the mulch and the grass. This area is pretty weed-prone, which is a huge pain in the butt to maintain, given the 30+ degree slope. I live in hardiness zone 7a (East Tennessee), the slope faces due South, so it's 95% full sun.
I would like some low-maintenance ground cover ideas. I used this site (http://classygroundcovers.com/site/wizard) and found that periwinkle (vinca minor) would do well in this area, be a good ground cover, and help prevent weeds. But I'd like some other ideas from the experts here.
One other thought is some small evergreen trees on the sides to help give some privacy from the neighbors.
I don't mind the aggressive nature of the vinca minor. I can maintain the edges, it's the weeds that are the biggest pain in the butt. I'd also like the ground cover to look half-way pretty, so my property isn't impossible to sell down the road.
Thanks in advance for any ideas on what to do here!

Comments (9)