SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebscrap

Gutting my backyard-plans

rebecca
4 years ago

We presently have an above-ground pool and deck attached to house which need to be ripped out. We are therefore starting our backyard from scratch! I could really use some help with planning (on a budget)! Hubby will build deck(s) himself, using pressure-treated wood to keep cost down.

I’m posting a hand-drawn pic of my idea (not firm!) so, if you could tweak or comment (please be nice! Lol). I’m also attaching pics of our current backyard so you can see the layout and foliage.

Things to keep in mind:

Our present deck is 32’x 8’ and I’ve kept that size deck in my drawing. From deck to back fence is only an additional 20’. On the right (north), there is an additional 9’ from end of deck to fence. On left, there is another 9’ but that’s already taken up by a shed (see pic 3).

The back of our property is a ‘swamp’ as we have the storm sewer in the far left corner (southwest). Therefore, the back three feet is unusable as it’s soaking wet from neighbors’ yards draining into it. I’m thinking of putting gravel down for drainage and building garden boxes on top.

The light blue dotted line is where our old pool was. The earth under it is therefore flat with sand.

The black thing on the right is my drawing of a gazebo under which I want some cozy couches (like a Sultan’s tent). That will sit on a ground level deck. On the left, I’m thinking a stone patio with a fire pit surrounded by Adirondack chairs.

I would love some type of fountain—I have drawn it in the centre, somehow coming out from the swell. Not sure if it’s possible or in best place. Would love some ideas for this!

I’ve drawn grass in the centre with stepping stones over to the two areas.

Open to all ideas for this blank canvas! I’m especially in need of landscaping ideas—placement/type of garden plants, urns, etc. but, if you feel like ripping up my idea and starting from scratch—be my guest!

Comments (24)