SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nedragneerg

Barren backyard...planning suggestions please! (pics & diag)

nedragneerg
15 years ago

Barren backyard...planning suggestions please! (pics & diag)

Please help me with suggestions on this proposed layout before I take the plunge! My DH and I (after years of scrimping) purchased a well worn house which needed plenty of TLC. After 5 months of DIY remodeling to a livable condition we finally glanced out the back yard and saw this.... 0_0

{{gwi:39984}}

Even better our friendly retired neighbor lives right here. He brings his drinking buddies outside so we really feel like we're being watched

{{gwi:39985}}

I've pored through many threads and I have a rough idea of what I want for my "spaces"?

(1) Sod area to relax on

(2) vegetable garden

(3) Gazebo Patio Area

(4) Quiet Corner

I recognize the limitations of the climate so I have only a ~8x10 UC Verde sod area planned. We have purchased a 9'x11' gazebo but have not set it up yet. Our plan is to have some shades on the west wall for some privacy when we're lounging outside. Here is what I have planned out....

Dream Garden 2010

{{gwi:39986}}

Is there too much going on? I recognize this is a long process and I simply want to make sure the layout works before we break anymore ground. I would like a garden I won't feel like tearing after realizing a part of the space doesn't fit. It would be nice to squeeze in some concerts or outings with friends! =)

:::NITTY GRITTY DETAILS::::

*The soil is rocky clay hard. DH w/ pickaxe barely makes a dent which is why we're going with a composite deck. Pavers might be marginally cheaper but not worth the digging.

*Not entirely sure on what the pathways will be, probably mulch with paver stepping stones.

*Our combined power is 1/2 a green thumb

Short term goals...

Making deck first

setting up gazebo (with west wall screen)

planting hedges

prepping flower beds w/ layers of newspaper, mulch, and manure

planting more roses

make arches out of rebar

make terrace retaining wall

Dig out dirt for pathways and dump on raised terrace (repeat for a month)

mulch pathways

mulch everything else

I'm guessing by this time, summer or the year 2008 will be over...

Thank you so for taking the time to read this. Your collective ideas have been very inspiring and informative. Also any suggestions for specific plants would also be appreciated! =)

Comments (14)