SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
philly_gardener

Weeds problem! Please help!

philly_gardener
12 years ago

Hello,

I have looked through the FAQ page, and did not find what I am looking for.

I live in the greater Philadelphia area (Zone 6). I don't know what type of grass I have. I bought a bag of Scott Kentucky Bluegrass Mix seeds this spring, and only used a small portion of it. I am planning to use the rest this fall.

The lawn is an established one. Under full sun.

My husband mows the grass using the highest setting about every two weeks in summer.

Usually we only depend on rain. Last summer there was an extended period of dry weather, that was when the weed problem got much worse.

There are three major types of weeds growing wildly on my lawn:

1. Dandelions (I believe this is perennial)

2. Buckhorn plantain (I believe this is a broad leaf perennial. Also called ribwort plantain, English plantain, and narrowleaf plantain)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago_lanceolata

3. Crab grass (I believe this is annual)

These weeds are all over my lawn. Early this spring, I bought a weed hound to pull up 10% of the dandelions and plantains. It did not work and all the weeds came back. I did my best digging up all the roots.

Now I am looking for chemical ways to get rid of all these weeds.

I have used Bayer Adavance Season Long Weed Control for Lawns. It says it kills current weeds, but does not say what type of weeds it kills. Two month after we used that product, I can still see a lot of dandelions, plantains, and crab grass.

What weed killer should I use to kill all the weeds? When should I seed with the Kentucky Bluegrass Mix seeds?

I know next spring, I need to buy pre-emergent weed control. What brand and type should I buy? What time should I use the pre-emergent weed control?

Thank you so much for your help!

Comments (4)