SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joanncat18_gw

Need help with how long to water- taking too long to get 1/2 inch

joanncat18
12 years ago

Hello,

I am new here and pardon me if this is a stupid question or if it is covered elsewhere. I bought some new sprinklers and I am trying to improve my grass. I read that the grass needs 1 inch of water per week and I read a few places to water 1/2 inch twice a week to equal 1 inch total per week. I am using a tuna can to measure the water and it is taking many hours to fill the can. This seems like way too long. I am placing the can towards the far edge that my sprinkler hits because I figured that once the far edge got 1/2 an inch that the rest would have gotten that much or more. Also the far edge is the most brown area of the grass. I have a pulstaing/impulse sprinkler. The sprinkler has been on for over 5 hours and the can is still not full. The can is placed out in the open so there aren't any trees or anything in the way to prevent the water from going into the can.

I have read that some people get 1/2 inch of water in an hour or so. I know it depends on water pressure and the sprinkler type etc, but this seems excessive. Am I doing something wrong? Is the tuna can in the wrong spot? If you are trying to give the whole lawn a 1/2 inch, then where would you measure that in relation to the sprinkler?

Any advice is appreciated. I don't want to be over-watering either. Thanks.

Comments (2)