SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

A way to increase winter chilling

Some of us in zones 7 and warmer lack winter chilling for some things. In my climate winters average low 60s by day and about freezing at night. Since best chilling is 37-48F we are often too warm by day and too cold at night. The first winter I was here I overwintered my potted trees in an unheated garage. The garage was set up with a window evaporative cooler which I ran all winter to increase chilling and in the spring to delay bloom.

Now that I have a greenhouse I have it set up to increase chilling to at least double that outside. This involves running an evaporative cooler by day and heating to 37F at night. I also have a reflective fabric over the trees inside the greenhouse to reflect light and heat up. Right now at about 1:00 pm it is 72F outside with low humidity and no clouds. Whereas it is 59F inside the greenhouse where the trees are. In the last 5 days this setup has allowed about 72 Utah chill hours. It gets much easier in Dec and Jan. But I'll have 1,000 hrs by Jan 1 and be about done chilling. Our Ave chilling outside is about 700 hrs.

With the greenhouse setup and various microclimates outside I can enhance chilling or delay bloom to some extent as needed.

One thing I try to do is delay blooming of potted pluot as late as possible for late season fruit. Right now these are outside in the warmest microclimate until they get their low chilling requirement met, about mid January. After that they'll be kept as cool as possible to delay bloom.

For those in warm winter areas like southern AZ and CA, these techniques would allow growing high chilling fruits in a low chilling climate.

Comments (3)