SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ptowndune

unorthodox way of chilling bulbs for forcing

ptowndune
16 years ago

If I plant tulip and Narcissus bulbs in pots for forcing and keep them stacked outside on a sheltered side of the house, what, assuming they get enough moisture, are the drawbacks, and how detremental is the probability that they'll freeze? I'm from Minnesota, and I know that the soil always freezes far below the level that bulbs are, and they aren't destroyed.

My plan is to chill the bulbs in their bags in a big cooler (they've been there a month so far), then plant them in pots of soil during the next warm spell. I don't have a garage or a basement, and the garden is all beach roses, so close to the water that during storms the entire garden is subjected to waves or salt spray (any other plants get pickled with some regularity), so I can't bury them, and there isn't another place around the side of the house where I could dig up the soil or pile seaweed on them. I have a thermometer in the cooler, and bring it in to warm some on really cold nights, although it's read in the teens in there and the bulbs are doing just fine.

Do they need to be in total darkness always? Does an occasonal increase in temperature, say to 55 degrees, invalidate the cooling period? It seems to me that here in New England, the soil frequently freezes and then thaws, while in MN they are solidly frozen all winter long, so either way must work.

I'd appreciate any help/observations from others who understand more of the lore of chilling/forcing than I do. Thanks.

Comments (5)