SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andedon_gw

Thoughts on Lesco vs KBG blend

andedon
16 years ago

First of all, thank you very much for your help. Although my wife was anti-nice lawn 18 months ago when we bought this house, you helped me change her mind... Well done!

The house we bought came with about 30,000 square feet of lawn/weeds. Last spring I let it come up and followed a standard care regiment just to see what we were starting with. By mid-July crab grass made up more than 65% of the lawn. Late summer I followed the regiment of killing the real bad parts, and (mow short, dethatch, aerate, seed, and water) over seeded. I over seeded with Lesco Park and Athletic Mix and this spring it came in beautifully. In the neighborhood we went from one of the worst lawns to one of the best (people are asking me how I did it and what landscaping company I use). Crab grass did make reappearance in July in any little piece of visible soil but overall itÂs less than 3% so I'm happy.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to overseed again this fall and will only spot kill if needed. The Park and Athletic Mix is a KBG/Fescue/rye blend. After a year it looks like the KBG has dominated and accounts for about 40-50% of the lawn, and I'd prefer to keep moving in that direction.

The lesco has worked well, but I was considering an overseeding of 100% kbg this year (i.e. Midnight II, Bedazzled, and Moonlight). What are your thoughts? Will it have that much of an impact, or should I just keep going on the same path?

Comments (12)