SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
appleseed70

Goldrush - 3 Weeks in storage

appleseed70
9 years ago

Went to the basement last night to retrieve the Goldrush which were being stored there. Stored in a paper sack rolled up at the top.
Was surprised to see that the apples had become a much, much deeper golden yellow color (more golden I guess). The skin felt as though it had shrunk a bit (you cannot visually see this but you can sorta "feel" it).

When tasting it was very evident that it had indeed sweetened noticeably. There was a lot going on in the flavor and one note in particular I cannot put my finger on. I just cannot quite describe what it is I'm tasting.
Both of my children and my wife say they like it, but I do not sense a great deal of enthusiasm.
For me, the apple is good but the strange note that I cannot put my finger on is a bit off-putting to me. I'm not wild about the texture either. It's definitely not mushy or mealy, but it's not crisp and breaking either. It's more of a rubbery dense flesh that only sounds crisp when bitten into. The juice is there and it's very sticky (unusual for an apple) and has a very mild aroma.
The apples were stored 11 days at room temp and the remainder in the cool basement. Harvested Halloween day. Given all this, I cannot imagine it being the great storage apple it is hailed as. Honeycrisp stored in the same manner would be essentially the same in quality as when first picked in my experience.

This is a very often suggested/recommended apple here and is held in high regard virtually everywhere. I just thought I'd post my experience with it.

At this point, given it's CAR susceptibility, I would NOT recommend this apple. I am very disappointed because I really liked the way it grew and produced blemish-free apples. BTW, I should mention mild blemishes appeared in storage.
When taken as a whole, I think there are far better apples to choose. I hope this is just a fluke and while there are some variables that could have attributed to this, none were significant enough in my mind to make a difference. I really hope I'm wrong about that.
For now though this apple receives a thumbs down from me.

Comments (51)