SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fourstringdrums

Is a bagger necessary or can I live without it?

fourstringdrums
16 years ago

I went down to Lesco today to pick up something, and I got into a discussion with the manager there about how my lawn was coming along. I had mentioned to him that I mulch mow once a week and he told me I should never EVER mulch mow because it contributes to thatch.

Now I know, this topic has been beaten to death, and from everything I've gathered, it's completely false. But, I went an ordered a bagger for my riding mower anyway. I thought that maybe in my case, with my mowing once a week, that I was cutting off too much and the clippings weren't being effective mulch. I can't always mow more than once a week (or say more than once every 6-7 days), either because of alot of rain, or my schedule, so I thought that having a bagger to use on occasion would be a good idea. Also it could assist in fall leaf cleanup (I've never had good luck mulching leaves cleanly) and getting rid of pine cones and other debris in the spring. I've also had a big red thread problem this year and it occurred to me that I should probably have a bagger for those situations instead of just throwing it back on the lawn.

So what's the consensus? Should I go for the bagger? It's not cheap for my mower (about $350) but if it's going to be a benefit at times, I'd prefer to just go for it.

Comments (16)