SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andyv_tx

Need advice and opinions on reel mowers

andyv_tx
17 years ago

I am in Houston,TX and I have St. Augustine, ~6000 sq ft. I am currently using a push (manual) reel mower - Taskforce 20" (bought new from Lowes for $129). I always cut at max height the mower goes to, 2.75". I am a newbie to lawns (new homeowner). I have the following questions and would appreciate your advice and opinions.

1. I am not partcularly pleased with the Taskforce. After 5 months of use, the wheels are wobbly, it requires two passes over the same grass to cut all the grass (otherwise a few stick up). Its not the height of grass (as I am pretty religious about cutting no more than 1/3rds, which means frequently). Am I better off with Sunlawn or the Scotts 2000-20? Or even a McLane manual? I want to keep the grass height at least 2.5" and the Brills dont cut that high.

2. In the street where I live, no one cuts their lawn with a reel mower except me and the difference is telling. I have no brown tips on my grass and the rest do. What I cannot tell is, is it because they use rotary mowers or if it is because they dont take care of the lawn. I am tempted to go rotary (I can cut my grass higher, upto 4.25" with the Toro), but I do not wish to sacrifice the quality of cut. Am I right in my assessment of rotaries?

3. The reel mower does not get very close to edges and I find myself using the trimmer quite a bit. I use a B&D cordeless trimmer and where the grass is trimmed, I have the brown tips. This is in stark contrast to how the rest of the lawn looks and I really hate it. Are there any reel mowers that will get close to edges? Or would my life be different if I used a different (more powerful trimmer)?

Your insights, thoughts welcome.

Comments (8)