SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shpgrl1001

When to cut newly seeded bermuda grass?

Daphne
12 years ago

I planted bermuda seed the second week of June. Have reseeded about twice since then on bare patches that didn't seem to "take" the first time.

Some of the grass as already reached 5-6 inches. Others are still germinating, others are in between and yet there are also still some bald spots.

I was told by my uncle and by a neighbor that I shouldn't cut it until next spring/summer. That it will seed itself and get thicker and thicker and I shouldn't have to reseed again (there are still a few bald spots and the grass that has grown is thin when you look up close although it looks great from the street).

The confusion is that I have read online to cut it when it reaches 4-5 inches and only cut about 1-1 1/2 inches off the top.

Which is it? Do I just let it grow? Or do I cut it?

I realize in the fall it may stop growing and won't look too bad or get too out of control, but right now the grass is all different heights and is not looking like the "immaculate" lawn I dreamed of. Can't imagine going like this for another year.

Also, I plan to have someone stay in the house starting in September for about a year and need to know what to tell them about caring for it. Also, not sure if they will be too particular about a wild grown lawn wild bald patches, even if it is beautiful bermuda.

Comments (9)