SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blackdirt_cowboy

Newly seeded Yukon Bermuda help

blackdirt_cowboy
8 years ago

I bought a house last summer and one area of the yard had severe erosion issues. This April, I brought in some soil and spread to correct the problems. On May 3, I seeded the area with yukon bermuda. I'm getting great germination of the bermuda, that's not my problem. The problem is, three days before the Bermuda germinated, some other kind of grass came up. It appears to me to be some kind of panicum. I'm afraid it is going to outgrow and smother the Bermuda.

I have read some university studies that have applied 2-4d and MSMA as early as 1 to 4 weeks post seeding. In those studies, the Bermuda was injured, but by day 30 after application there was no significant difference in coverage as compared to the control. Does anyone have any real world experience spraying herbicides on newly emerged Bermuda? Is this an option for me? Or will the regular mowing be enough to get the Bermuda to spread and choke this grass out?

Here is a picture to give you an idea of what I'm up against. The taller grass is what concerns me. The fuzzy green looking stuff under the tall grass is Bermuda. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm