SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulinct

best way to bring KBG out of summer dormancy?

paulinct
15 years ago

Hi folks,

The grass growing over my septic system components dries out very quickly every summer. I renovated with KBG last year with the idea that even if it goes dormant more quickly than other grasses, it is more likely to survive. My old grass just cooked and died every year in those spots.

Last week the lawn was beautiful. Then after a few days of predicted but no-show thunderstorms, and me not watering, blammo, I have straw over the septic system.

If the lawn were more established I would just water to keep the crowns alive over the next six weeks or so and then let it come back naturally when the rains return, but I have read recently that newly established lawns are more likely to die if allowed to stay dormant too long. So I need to start irrigating, like right now.

My question is how would you approach that? One inch once/week seems kind of pointless considering how fast this soil drains and that roots just can't grow that deep when they hit large concrete structures buried a few inches below the surface. Every other day? Every three days? How much at a time? I read somewhere that Purdue did a study on this, but I can't seem to find it.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Comments (9)