SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gcfishguy

Older lawnboy, running rich

gcfishguy
9 years ago

Hi folks. Don't know my model number.. How's that for a great start?

I was given an older lawnboy in great shape for mowing the grass at the camp.

It's mid-80's, has a wheel in each corner (as opposed to the one wheel in an odd place), has the on/off knob and primer button and fuel cap all in line with each other (all white), and the flywheel cover (white plastic disk) is exposed in the engine cover. The engine cover has 4 screws on the top and one along the back edge in a J-clip. I looked through a lot of pics on google but wasn't able to determine what model # it is. Any ones I found that the top and controls were the same, they had the body/deck with the offset wheel....

Anyway, it ran good for the first few times I used it this year, the last two times it's running really slow and excessive blue smoke. Stopping at the end of a row and making a 90-degree turn will slow it down so much it feels like it wants to stall.

I had really limited time at the camp yesterday (just time to start cutting the grass at 6:30 am and then head right home....but I did assume that the air filter could be clogged up.
It was fairly oily and had a couple spots of build-up, so I cleaned it with gas (shhh, I know)..and squeezed it out and let it dry in the sun while I took a break. As a test, I did not re-oil it but just put it in dry. Still running slow and smoking a lot.
I took it completely out, closed up the airbox and the thing runs like a champ. No smoke, fast enough to cut med-slightly heavy grass on the 'regular speed' and cuts light grass fine on the slower speed. (if anything, it felt like it might be running a bit too fast)... I'm young enough to not have had the pleasure of using these things too much so I can't say if it was running exactly like it's supposed to, but it seemed to be running well.
So.....I'll assume that the carb/engine is set up to run at its best with a clean, oiled air filter .....and it doesn't, but runs great without the element....so....
1- The foam element is 'bad' and is restricting too much air, even dry.
2 - A passage or jet is plugged in the carb, and I'm compensating for that by feeding it more air.

I'll also toss in that while mowing, if I was to stop and pull it backwards to re-cut a stubborn spot, moving it backwards and forwards again would really bog it down slower, and result in more smoke....and the last two times when it was running slower, it did pick up and run faster just before it ran out of gas.

*and when I say, 'had the pleasure' I'm being serious...every time I cut the lawn last year I asked myself, "Why is it that this thing just seems to WORK? I have a brand new mower at home that I have to run over the grass twice to get as nice a cut as this thing gives..."

Actually, the top and controls, etc are identical to this pic (below), but again, it has a wheel in each corner (I assume that's the non-grass-catcher models..?)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:133408}}

Comments (12)