SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggity_ma

Lawn is toast - slit seeder?

diggity_ma
11 years ago

Due to the drought, our front lawn is totally dead. Kaput. The only thing still standing are some weeds and even they don't look very healthy. This lawn was never very healthy to begin with (probably because our builder used the absolute cheapest seed he could find), so I'm trying to look at this as an opportunity to start over.

I'm thinking of Roundup-ing the weeds now (which won't take long because even the weeds are scarce at this point), then renting a slit seeder in September and re-seeding. I'd like to use a high percentage of white clover. I know some people hate clover, but I love it - requires little care, stays green when the grass goes brown, and I'm a beekeeper and I know the bees love it too. Anyway, I have a few questions about this plan.

1) I've never used a slit seeder before. Are they easy to use, and do they produce good results? Any important tips?

2) Do certain grass species cohabitate better with clover than others? I don't need it to look like a manicured golf course... I just want about a 50/50 clover/grass mix that requires little care and can withstand future droughts that we may have.

Thanks!

-Diggity

Comments (4)